The Student Room Group

I hate being an introvert

I know people and they know of me, can i make small talk with them without a very awkward moment? No.
I swear everyone in the schools around me are just 80% of extroverts bc everyone makes friends with everyone so easily but I'm just there with no clue want to do. I sort of have a hatred against many people, the amount of people I've tried to have a conversation with but got nothing in return. I don't make that hatred clear tho bc ik thats just rude but i just don't understand what goes through a persons head when someone is trying to talk to you but then you give the driest answers - and it's not like they're shy either bc they've made friends with your friends.

So i thought that it could be my looks because no one wants to be friends with someone with some acne and scarring - it's not even that bad but i still have to consider my looks as a possibility. I'm not a massive beauty guru but putting foundation and covering my redness makes me look much better but still no. The only reason i changed my skin was bc it's the thing that people notice first and it's my worst feature.

This didn't work so i thought it was my personality. I still don't know if it is my personality. It's not like i have no friends, I do and they're all very lovely. I've always been watchful of the way i act and say because i used to be a loud kid in primary school so i had to change myself. I don't want to replace my friends but with uni coming round the corner - i need to know how to make friends.

It's gotten to the point where i'm considering how to cope with being alone in life bc it takes me ages to feel comfortable with someone but everyone clicks with everyone so much quicker. Maybe it's the people around me but many people seem to have the same taste in music around me so it's hard to find something to bond with - thats just one example but u get it. Everyone likes rap and that sort - not that theres anything wrong with it but it's just not my go to music so idk much about it. Again, I think it's unfair if i have to change my personality in order to create more convo starts
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I know people and they know of me, can i make small talk with them without a very awkward moment? No.
I swear everyone in the schools around me are just 80% of extroverts bc everyone makes friends with everyone so easily but I'm just there with no clue want to do. I sort of have a hatred against many people, the amount of people I've tried to have a conversation with but got nothing in return. I don't make that hatred clear tho bc ik thats just rude but i just don't understand what goes through a persons head when someone is trying to talk to you but then you give the driest answers - and it's not like they're shy either bc they've made friends with your friends.
So i thought that it could be my looks because no one wants to be friends with someone with some acne and scarring - it's not even that bad but i still have to consider my looks as a possibility. I'm not a massive beauty guru but putting foundation and covering my redness makes me look much better but still no. The only reason i changed my skin was bc it's the thing that people notice first and it's my worst feature.
This didn't work so i thought it was my personality. I still don't know if it is my personality. It's not like i have no friends, I do and they're all very lovely. I've always been watchful of the way i act and say because i used to be a loud kid in primary school so i had to change myself. I don't want to replace my friends but with uni coming round the corner - i need to know how to make friends.
It's gotten to the point where i'm considering how to cope with being alone in life bc it takes me ages to feel comfortable with someone but everyone clicks with everyone so much quicker. Maybe it's the people around me but many people seem to have the same taste in music around me so it's hard to find something to bond with - thats just one example but u get it. Everyone likes rap and that sort - not that theres anything wrong with it but it's just not my go to music so idk much about it. Again, I think it's unfair if i have to change my personality in order to create more convo starts
Maybe changing you're personality/looks to fit in is a part of life but i've always had the mindset of "people like you for who you are". So i genuinly dk how im gonna cope in uni when i'm thrown into a new enviroment with people i don't know. I'm more scared for the accomadation more than anything, cooking with someone you barely know makes me panic
As an introvert myself, I completely understand.
The world appears to be full of extroverts but actually studies show it’s about a 50/50 split. It’s just unfortunate that the world we live in today is very much catered towards extroverts.

In life there is always some degree of adaptation, in order to manage various social situations you’re put into but you don’t need to change who you are.

I highly recommend reading or listening to the book Quiet by Susan Cain. It helps you to understand yourself as an introvert, how to make the most of it and how to deal with a world that lends itself to extroverts 😊 I found it massively helpful!

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking https://amzn.eu/d/4SWqavD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending