The Student Room Group

Does word count really matter?

For my assignment the word count for 2 separate questions is 1000 & I did 1005 & 1004 ,; I can’t take anything off..
Each university is different but mine has a 10% leniency policy. Sometimes you can cut 4-5 words out but splitting some sentences up and removing connecting words (e.g. and). i would check your university policies and/or ask your lecturer
Original post by Anonymous
For my assignment the word count for 2 separate questions is 1000 & I did 1005 & 1004 ,; I can’t take anything off..

Yes you can, as above.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,
I wouldn't worry too much about this as you are very marginally over the word count. As mentioned in another response, each university has different policies on word count. However, I know for my university, usually you can be 10% under or 10% over the word count with no consequences.
If you are still concerned I would recommend speaking to your module lead or academic tutor who will be able to advise you on this.

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Quick Reply