The Student Room Group

Do i have a chance at oxbridge?

Current yr 12 students here. Hoping to get into phsyics in oxford. Im doing 4 a levels (maths, further, physics and politics) as well as russian outside of school (which im hoping for an A* in since im pretty much a fluent speaker, but we’ll see). Predicted AAAB, but im hoping to up these to at least 1 or 2 a stars in my mocks in june. I go assist a uni professor i know on saturdays with some classes for secondary students, but we go over some pretty difficult concepts and i hope i could put it on my ucas as work experience. Also have 12 9s for gcse and 1 8, but not sure if thats useful at all. Do i have a chance at oxford?
You will improve your chance if you drop the needless fifth A level. Good luck.
(edited 1 month ago)
With AAAB, i.e. not A*s in the required subjects - no. There is no point in doing a fifth subject if it will bring you down elsewhere.
Have you considered dropping a subject? If you can get AAAB then you could definitely get at least A*AA which would look way more appealing to unis
No chance if you can’t even spell “physics” properly.
Reply 5
Original post by Username123ab
Have you considered dropping a subject? If you can get AAAB then you could definitely get at least A*AA which would look way more appealing to unis
I really should, the advice from everyone seems to say the same thing. I just go to a sixth form that requires 4 a levels (harris westminster) and makes it 5x difficult as it should be to drop one (even if i do a 5th one outside of school), but the problem of dropping an a level is my own to solve. Im not even sure if I want to take a STEM related degree anymore, this sixth form really sucked my love for maths dry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending