The Student Room Group

Dentistry Application - Should I apply?

I've been absolutely set on dentistry these last few months but I'm starting to have doubts whether I can make a competitive application. I've been looking at Leeds, Plymouth, Cardiff, Newcastle and Manchester. I haven't got my predicted grades yet, but my A levels are probably going to be A*A*AC at the best. My GCSES are 987777777666, with a 6 in math. I haven't done a full UCAT exam yet, but if I have a chance to get in with my grades I reckon I could do quite well. Thanks in advance for any advice!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Just out of curiosity, why don’t you drop the 4th a level if you’re getting A*A*A in the other three which is more than enough for all dental schools (unless the C is in bio or chem obviously)
Original post by aaseri17
Just out of curiosity, why don’t you drop the 4th a level if you’re getting A*A*A in the other three which is more than enough for all dental schools (unless the C is in bio or chem obviously)
One of the A*s is in a subject I'm passing this year (Polish) , so my school would probably not be happy with me doing 2 a levels next year. I was told by my teachers that having a C in a 4th subject will only bring up my UCAS tariff, and that Polish wont be treated any differently than say, History. So I'm still following through with the C, in German - fitting 3 languages into my head is hard, especially when I'm learning 2 of them... I'd appreciate if you could tell me what your experience with low 4th grades is when it comes to dentistry, and languages like Polish. Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by highchlorophyll
I've been absolutely set on dentistry these last few months but I'm starting to have doubts whether I can make a competitive application. I've been looking at Leeds, Plymouth, Cardiff, Newcastle and Manchester. I haven't got my predicted grades yet, but my A levels are probably going to be A*A*AC at the best. My GCSES are 987777777666, with a 6 in math. I haven't done a full UCAT exam yet, but if I have a chance to get in with my grades I reckon I could do quite well. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Which A-Levels are you taking?
Reply 4
One of the A*s is in a subject I'm passing this year (Polish) , so my school would probably not be happy with me doing 2 a levels next year. I was told by my teachers that having a C in a 4th subject will only bring up my UCAS tariff, and that Polish wont be treated any differently than say, History. So I'm still following through with the C, in German - fitting 3 languages into my head is hard, especially when I'm learning 2 of them... I'd appreciate if you could tell me what your experience with low 4th grades is when it comes to dentistry, and languages like Polish. Thanks!

Oh I see
In that case you’re in a pretty good position then, if you get the A* in polish this year then you can forget about German and just focus on bio and chem,as it won’t really make a difference
I can’t give much advice on a fourth a level as I only did 3 but I did get 3 offers for dent this year so if you need any advice on the other aspects more than happy to help 🙂

Newcastle and Manchester only look at UCAT so it depends on how you perform in that
Cardiff and Leeds weighs very heavily on GCSE - which is probably one to avoid
Take a look at Bristol (also UCAT), Bart's (which looks at top 3 a-level UCAS tarrif + UCAT)
Original post by raya2003
Which A-Levels are you taking?

Biology, Chemistry, Polish, German. All a levels, am taking Polish this year though.
Original post by toothysmile
Newcastle and Manchester only look at UCAT so it depends on how you perform in that
Cardiff and Leeds weighs very heavily on GCSE - which is probably one to avoid
Take a look at Bristol (also UCAT), Bart's (which looks at top 3 a-level UCAS tarrif + UCAT)

Barts seems interesting, though Bristol needs a 7 in math to apply, which I unfortunately didn't get. I've been doing weekly in person work experience at a dental practice, and by the time I will be applying I will have done around 7 months of it. Does this help my application in any meaningful way? I really enjoy talking with patients and getting to know the dentists but I hope this will be practically useful aswell...
Original post by aaseri17
Oh I see
In that case you’re in a pretty good position then, if you get the A* in polish this year then you can forget about German and just focus on bio and chem,as it won’t really make a difference
I can’t give much advice on a fourth a level as I only did 3 but I did get 3 offers for dent this year so if you need any advice on the other aspects more than happy to help 🙂
Hi, 3 offers is quite a few, well done! If you don't mind me asking, what UCAT and a level grades did you get, and where did you apply? What tips do you have for revision, whether it be learning UCAT or a levels? Thanks for your help.

Hi there! Glad to hear you are considering Plymouth for dentistry! 😄

We have a few dental students on our Unibuddy platform who will be happy to answer any questions you have and share their experiences on the course so far.

Best of luck!
-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest