The Student Room Group

3rd class in law from brunel Able become solicitor? Mitigating circumstances

I have a going to get third class in law from brunel university and I was diagnosed with ADHD and ocd when I was in my foundation year. I retook 3rd year as my ocd symptoms got worse last year. I am almost finish this year but am unsure if it will be 2:2 or 3rd class that can there depend on my dissertation. Would I be able to become a solicitor and get a training contract or at least start as a paralegal.
Original post by vignes1358
I have a going to get third class in law from brunel university and I was diagnosed with ADHD and ocd when I was in my foundation year. I retook 3rd year as my ocd symptoms got worse last year. I am almost finish this year but am unsure if it will be 2:2 or 3rd class that can there depend on my dissertation. Would I be able to become a solicitor and get a training contract or at least start as a paralegal.

Are the mitigating circumstances going to change after University? There are no mitigating circumstances in professional life. It might be time to work on getting over the OCD and improving the management of your ADHD.
Original post by vignes1358

Hi @vignes1358

The only way to find out for sure, is to try and apply and see what happens. If you aren't managing to be successful you will be able to ask for feedback and find out if a lower classification is something the firms you are applying to are willing to overlook or not. Usually, applications do allow you to write about mitigating circumstances and explain why your grade does not reflect your ability but having mitigating circumstances isn't a guarantee a lower grade will be overlooked, it really depends on the firm.

I would recommend, in the meantime, boosting your CV with other relevant experiences that can show your abilities from another angle and help to strengthen areas that may be, otherwise, deemed as weaker.

I hope this helps and good luck! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending