The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath Undergrad Accommodation 2024

I'm probably going to firm Bath for 2024 entry. Is the accommodation allocation bad at Bath? Is it likely you get one of your top choices? For accommodation, any recommendations of what to try and avoid? Ideally want self catered. Thanks :smile:
I wouldn't say it's "bad", but it's not good. It's entirely luck based.

You have to apply before a certain time, and you choose 7 choices of accommodation in order of preference. Accommodations are then randomly allocated (i.e. when you applied has no bearing) based on peoples' choices.

I'm at John Wood Court, a city accommodation. Myself, and lots of other people I've spoken to in my accommodation, didn't even pick it as one of their 7 choices. We were randomly allocated this one. I've written a longer post talking about Bath accommodation here, so give that a read. Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by DemarcusIV
I wouldn't say it's "bad", but it's not good. It's entirely luck based.
You have to apply before a certain time, and you choose 7 choices of accommodation in order of preference. Accommodations are then randomly allocated (i.e. when you applied has no bearing) based on peoples' choices.
I'm at John Wood Court, a city accommodation. Myself, and lots of other people I've spoken to in my accommodation, didn't even pick it as one of their 7 choices. We were randomly allocated this one. I've written a longer post talking about Bath accommodation here, so give that a read. Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help.

Thanks so much for your reply! Damn didn't know it was randomly allocated. So is it like you pick your top 7 (but could get something else), or is it you are given 7 options and rank them? I'm hoping for a campus accommodation but as your other post says city accommodation wouldn't be the complete end of the world as its so convenient for everything out of campus.
I'm just thinking if its randomly allocated, and they ask you for your preference, whats the point as its random anyway?
Finally, when do you find out what you have been allocated?
Sorry for so many questions!!
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks so much for your reply! Damn didn't know it was randomly allocated. So is it like you pick your top 7 (but could get something else), or is it you are given 7 options and rank them? I'm hoping for a campus accommodation but as your other post says city accommodation wouldn't be the complete end of the world as its so convenient for everything out of campus.
I'm just thinking if its randomly allocated, and they ask you for your preference, whats the point as its random anyway?
Hiya, I’m not at Bath but I’m also a prospective student. From what I’ve heard, I’m pretty sure you rank your 7 choices and they do their best to put you in the highest one they can. I don’t think it’s totally random, but I know the en-suite rooms especially are very oversubscribed so they recommend choosing a variation of accommodation types so you’re more likely to get one of your choices.
I think you find out at the end of August, if I remember right.
Original post by Anonymous

Glad I could help. Maybe I was a little unclear: you pick your top 7 but could get something else. You rank your 7 options and they'll try and give you the highest one, so the order of your choices do matter. It's random in the sense that accoms will be oversubscribed so you'll be entered into a lottery to get a place.

At least for my cohort, Bath took in a huge number of undergraduates and couldn't fit them all, so even had to open up new and postgraduate accommodations to undergrads like Thornbank, Scala and Aquila Court. Make sure that you include less popular choices near the top of your options, and definitely include a city option (John Wood/Green Park) in your 7 to avoid getting stuck in those new accoms far from the city centre or worse, a shared room 😩

I got my accommodation offer on the 31st of August, and had 3 days to accept. You can only apply to change accommodation midway through October.

No need to apologise for the questions, I'm happy to answer any more you may have 🙂
I have Bath as my insurance uni and am away that uni accommodation isn’t guaranteed. In reality does that mean that the majority, but not all, of us who go to Bath as insurance uni will be allocated uni halls? What do I do if I don’t get uni accommodation ? TIA

Quick Reply

Latest