The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Engineering at UoB

I currently have an offer for MEng mechanical engineering at Birmingham uni and i was wondering what benefits UOB has that may help with my decision. Any input on facilities, affiliated companies, opportunities ect. that make UOB unique/a good choice would be great thanks. (Its between UOB and aero at Southampton)
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by GriffrH
I currently have an offer for MEng mechanical engineering at Birmingham uni and i was wondering what benefits UOB has that may help with my decision. Any input on facilities, affiliated companies, opportunities ect. that make UOB unique/a good choice would be great thanks. (Its between UOB and aero at Southampton)

I am a penultimate student studying mechanical engineering at UOB. I would definitely recommend UOB although Southampton is a little better at engineering. As a whole experience UOB would be better. Every now and then I would get an email that some companies is coming to offer internships/placements like rolls Royce etc. I would also say we have one of the best sports center/clubs. In addition, the uni do offer you the opportunity to study abroad for a semester or a full year as long as you have a 2:1 grade, and you have about 70+ countries to choose from plus there’s no extra tuition fees for that. For mechanics we have less modules than the other engineering specialities, and the more you progress through the years the less exams you’ll have and more group work modules you’ll have. I am not sure what do you mean by facilities buts it’s good in general.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Ezio_Khalaf
I am a penultimate student studying mechanical engineering at UOB. I would definitely recommend UOB although Southampton is a little better at engineering. As a whole experience UOB would be better. Every now and then I would get an email that some companies is coming to offer internships/placements like rolls Royce etc. I would also say we have one of the best sports center/clubs. In addition, the uni do offer you the opportunity to study abroad for a semester or a full year as long as you have a 2:1 grade, and you have about 70+ countries to choose from plus there’s no extra tuition fees for that. For mechanics we have less modules than the other engineering specialities, and the more you progress through the years the less exams you’ll have and more group work modules you’ll have. I am not sure what do you mean by facilities buts it’s good in general.

Thanks this is definitely what is swaying me to UoB the only thing that I like about sothampton is the course and the facilities like the jet engine lab which would offer up some very interesting projects. Do you know the possibility of switching from mech to aero in the first year (I've emailed UoB but there taking awhile to get back to me)
Original post by GriffrH
Thanks this is definitely what is swaying me to UoB the only thing that I like about sothampton is the course and the facilities like the jet engine lab which would offer up some very interesting projects. Do you know the possibility of switching from mech to aero in the first year (I've emailed UoB but there taking awhile to get back to me)

In UOB the first year doesn't count towards your final grade, because people tend to switch let's say from civil to electric. Even in the end of my second year I got an email if I wanted to switch to either civil or electric and electronic engineering starting from my final year.
However, Aerospace engineering is not in the same college as Mechanical/Civil/ Electrical engineering, and I am not sure if you would be able to switch. I think it's possible because we all took the same modules regardless of our major as engineers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending