The Student Room Group

Final placement worries

Does anyone know what this by nurse assessor means . I feel very deflated this my final placement and will this cause any problems in aquiring nmc registration. Am worried sick

Practice Assessor to identify specific areas to support transition to qualified practitioner

Confidence in communicating with patient, relatives, andMDT
-Confidence and improved competence in responding toand attending to emergencies i.e, cardiac/respiratoryarrests
-Preparations and establishing IV medications/infusions
-Looking after palliative or End of Life patients -what to lookout for, signs when the patient needs anticipatorymedications
-Correctly identifying and managing pressure injuries
-More confidence in administration of medications
Reply 1
Does anyone know what this by nurse assessor means . I feel very deflated this my final placement and will this cause any problems in aquiring nmc registration. Am worried sick

Practice Assessor to identify specific areas to support transition to qualified practitioner

-Confidence and improved competence in responding toand attending to emergencies i.e, cardiac/respiratoryarrests
-Looking after palliative or End of Life patients -what to lookout for, signs when the patient needs anticipatorymedications
Reply 2
Original post by sasanabu9

@Emily_B

The assessor is just making sure that you are capable of doing the things that you have written in your post here.
Don't feel deflated about it as you'll know how things have went for you over your duration of the last three years of year nursing degree.

If you are feeling deflated about what you're to do with the assessor then it could possibly lead you to do mistakes and potentially failing your assessment and maybe placement so try and stay positive.

Best thing for you to do is to stay relax and continue with all the good work you have done so far in your nursing degree and get yourself through this transition to becoming a good qualified nurse.

Your NMC registration is based on the whole three years of student nursing degree, make sure that you have completed all your necessary hours for both studies at university and also your necessary placement hours, then completing all your necessary coursework that is required for you to get your nursing degree registration.

Best wishes ahead.

NHS registered midwife and student practice assessor.
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B
The assessor is just making sure that you are capable of doing the things that you have written in your post here.
Don't feel deflated about it as you'll know how things have went for you over your duration of the last three years of year nursing degree.
If you are feeling deflated about what you're to do with the assessor then it could possibly lead you to do mistakes and potentially failing your assessment and maybe placement so try and stay positive.
Best thing for you to do is to stay relax and continue with all the good work you have done so far in your nursing degree and get yourself through this transition to becoming a good qualified nurse.
Your NMC registration is based on the whole three years of student nursing degree, make sure that you have completed all your necessary hours for both studies at university and also your necessary placement hours, then completing all your necessary coursework that is required for you to get your nursing degree registration.
Best wishes ahead.
NHS registered midwife and student practice assessor.

Thank you!😊
Reply 4
Thank you!😊

You are welcome 🤗 🤗 🤗
Reply 5

If your practice assessor has marked "fail" or "not achieved" on anything in your documents, that will at least delay you getting your registration - and this isn't stated in any of this that you're concerned about.

As a registered nurse and practice assessor, I don't read "Practice Assessor to identify specific areas to support transition to qualified practitioner" as to put why as student is failing/reasons for concern, and read it more like things you need to work on over the remainder of the placement so that you're ready to start working independently as a nerwly qualified registered nurse (obviously you'll have supernumerary period directly on qualifying).
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Emily_B
If your practice assessor has marked "fail" or "not achieved" on anything in your documents, that will at least delay you getting your registration - and this isn't stated in any of this that you're concerned about.
As a registered nurse and practice assessor, I don't read "Practice Assessor to identify specific areas to support transition to qualified practitioner" as to put why as student is failing/reasons for concern, and read it more like things you need to work on over the remainder of the placement so that you're ready to start working independently as a nerwly qualified registered nurse (obviously you'll have supernumerary period directly on qualifying).

Thank you for shedding light on this for me.
She never marked any fail on my document but I was worried as this made me felt I was incompetent in the things she pointed out even though I have been doing well
I do understand now that it means I needed improvement but not as I was incompetent as I thought.☺️
Reply 7
Thank you for shedding light on this for me.
She never marked any fail on my document but I was worried as this made me felt I was incompetent in the things she pointed out even though I have been doing well
I do understand now that it means I needed improvement but not as I was incompetent as I thought.☺️

Going from student nurse to RN is tough. I don't remember how long it took me to feel vaguely comfortable in my job, but one of the newly qualified nurses on my ward said she felt like she was "finally getting it" at 6 months qualified (and she was a brilliant student, we also had no concerns about her practice in that first 6 months).
Your assessor is just trying to highlight things to work on to make that jump to RN a bit easier for you. If your assessor says you've been doing well, great! Keep going, and the hard work will pay off.

Quick Reply