The Student Room Group

Fees and placement year

I am an International student. So for example, if one year cost you 20K and you enrolled for the 4year course along with a placement year. Do you need to pay the fee of 20K for that placement year to university or the 5K placement year fee is the only amount you need to pay for that year?

Pus, do you get paid for the placement year from the job institution?
Original post by riik112233
I am an International student. So for example, if one year cost you 20K and you enrolled for the 4year course along with a placement year. Do you need to pay the fee of 20K for that placement year to university or the 5K placement year fee is the only amount you need to pay for that year?

Pus, do you get paid for the placement year from the job institution?

Generally speaking, you will pay reduced fees during the placement year. Your numbers above suggest that whatever uni you're talking about charge 25% of the normal fee. That certainly sounds plausible, but will vary from uni to uni.

Not all placement years are the same. For some you will get paid, whilst for some you will not. The fact that you're an international student potentially complicates matter slightly, in terms of your right to work in the UK. However, you can usually do a work placement as part of your course even if you are not permitted to take employment.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Generally speaking, you will pay reduced fees during the placement year. Your numbers above suggest that whatever uni you're talking about charge 25% of the normal fee. That certainly sounds plausible, but will vary from uni to uni.
Not all placement years are the same. For some you will get paid, whilst for some you will not. The fact that you're an international student potentially complicates matter slightly, in terms of your right to work in the UK. However, you can usually do a work placement as part of your course even if you are not permitted to take employment.
Am I not permitted to work?
Original post by riik112233
Am I not permitted to work?

Do you mean during your placement year? Or do you mean generally?

What visa do you have (or will you have) to cover your stay in the UK? If it's regular student visa then the rules allow you to work during your placement. See the "Work conditions" section of the Home Offices "Student and Child Student" document, here, which says:

"If study is at:
a higher education provider (HEP) with a track record of compliance
overseas higher education institution and the student is on a short-term study-abroad
Full-time course at degree level or above
Then the following work is permitted:
part-time during term-time (up to a maximum of 20 hours a week)
full-time during vacations, including the period before the course starts
on a work placement as part of the course
full-time as a postgraduate doctor or dentist on a recognised foundation programme when permission has been - granted for this course type
as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer for up to 2 years when permission has been granted for this purpose"

It also says that:
"Students who are allowed to work must not:
be self-employed or engage in business activity, except where they are awaiting a decision on an application for permission to stay as a Start-up migrant which is supported by an endorsement from a qualifying HEP with a track record of compliance
take employment as an entertainer or as a professional sportsperson, including a sports coach
fill a full-time permanent vacancy other than a recognised foundation programme and all other requirements are met or where they are filling a post as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer"
As an international student, if you know you want a placement you should get the 4 year student visa specifically. That will allow you to work your placement year as normal.

You will pay only the placement fee for the tuition year instead of full tuition.

Almost all placement years will pay, my uni specifically will not allow you to go on a placement year without it being paid. I would assume a lot of other unis are the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending