The Student Room Group

Withdrawn because course is full.

I have just gotten a reply from one of the Uni’s and I’ve been withdrawn because the course is full.
I applied before the deadline, can Uni’s just do that? Or is this just a nicer way to say I’ve been rejected?
Reply 1
Original post by Brrrrp
I have just gotten a reply from one of the Uni’s and I’ve been withdrawn because the course is full.
I applied before the deadline, can Uni’s just do that? Or is this just a nicer way to say I’ve been rejected?

you haven’t been rejected if you had an offer. sadly yes unis are allowed to do this, its horrible. usually its due to peoples insurance choice. they’ll usually off you and conditional which gives them every right to withdraw you. basically they can’t predict how many people are going to accept the offer, and sometimes get it wrong. recommend you call the uni or email them and they’re supposed to tell you information about your application and acceptance. i suggest you take it to the uni, as they can see if it may have been a mistake or explain why they did it
Original post by brnziu
you haven’t been rejected if you had an offer. sadly yes unis are allowed to do this, its horrible. usually its due to peoples insurance choice. they’ll usually off you and conditional which gives them every right to withdraw you. basically they can’t predict how many people are going to accept the offer, and sometimes get it wrong. recommend you call the uni or email them and they’re supposed to tell you information about your application and acceptance. i suggest you take it to the uni, as they can see if it may have been a mistake or explain why they did it

If the uni had made an offer to someone who applied before the equal consideration deadline they can't subsequently withdraw the offer unless the course is withdrawn as a whole. The only other situation I can think of is if they requested the OP submit some specific information/documentation/etc and they did not (e.g. submitting a portfolio before a deadline for an arts course, submitting some required official documents for other courses for any other reason etc).

Original post by Brrrrp

Did you receive an offer previously on UCAS for this choice, or is this the decision which you have been waiting for which was a rejection? Did the university communicate with you before this? Did you check your junk email of the email you signed up to UCAS with to receive messages from the unis to?
Reply 3
Sorry I’ll clarify what I mean by replied from my Uni.
I applied and was waiting for an answer, so no there was no offer before this. I was withdrawn because the course was full.
There was nothing given to me to fill in or complete, I’ve checked everywhere so I don’t think it was that.

So from what I’ve read, I think I’ve been rejected 🥲.
Thank you for your time.
Reply 4
It sounds like a clumsy way of giving you a Rejection.

As above - 'course full' is a nonsense because anyone with a Conditional offer haven't got their results yet so the course can't actually be 'full' at all. What they may mean is that they have issued all the offers they are going to and you were below the cut for an offer.

Email the Uni ans ask for an explanation / feedback on why they can't make you an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by mcginger
It sounds like a clumsy way of giving you a Rejection.
As above - 'course full' is a nonsense because anyone with a Conditional offer haven't got their results yet so the course can't actually be 'full' at all. What they may mean is that they have issued all the offers they are going to and you were below the cut for an offer.
Email the Uni ans ask for an explanation / feedback on why they can't make you an offer.

Okay thank you!!
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply