The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

UCLan - Revision top tips

Hey everyone,

It's that time of the year where a lot of will you will be revising and getting ready to sit your exams. So I thought I'd share some tips and advice to help:

Find a study environment that works well for you. Some people may thrive working in silence, whereas others may enjoy some background noise

Create a plan and do your best to stick to it, but if something isn't working, change it

Different learning styles work for each person so try a couple of ways to see which one suits you best

Try testing yourself on the spot using flash cards to help you build your quick thinking

Past questions/papers are really useful in learning the proper techniques to answering the questions and allowing you to become familiar with the tests format

It's so important to remember to create a good balance between revision and free time, break up your study time with activities you enjoy and that can help you destress. This may be through meeting up with your friends, exercising or watching your favourite show

Remember to be kind and patient with yourself - if things aren't making sense, ask for support

If you have any useful revision tips feel free to share them below 😊
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hey everyone,
It's that time of the year where a lot of will you will be revising and getting ready to sit your exams. So I thought I'd share some tips and advice to help:

Find a study environment that works well for you. Some people may thrive working in silence, whereas others may enjoy some background noise

Create a plan and do your best to stick to it, but if something isn't working, change it

Different learning styles work for each person so try a couple of ways to see which one suits you best

Try testing yourself on the spot using flash cards to help you build your quick thinking

Past questions/papers are really useful in learning the proper techniques to answering the questions and allowing you to become familiar with the tests format

It's so important to remember to create a good balance between revision and free time, break up your study time with activities you enjoy and that can help you destress. This may be through meeting up with your friends, exercising or watching your favourite show

Remember to be kind and patient with yourself - if things aren't making sense, ask for support

If you have any useful revision tips feel free to share them below 😊

Since a-levels are only 2 weeks away, I wanted to put together a little list of some of my top tips for revision and exam time!

Never too late to start
It’s never too late to start revising, whilst it’s better to get a head start and begin early, don’t let it put you off as starting now is better than never starting at all! Which brings me onto my second tip…

Figure out your weaknesses
We all know it is easy to focus on revising the bits you are good at / find easy but it is so easy to neglect the more tricky subjects or the ones you hate! I found a good way to find my weaknesses was to complete a past paper or 2 and then look at any topics I got wrong and use this to guide my revision. I often found it was the same topics I was getting wrong each time and this was a great way to work out what they are!

Make a list
Making a list or tracker of everything you need to go over means you can keep on track of everything! I found that creating a revision plan was a bit of a waste of time for me as you never knew what might be covered at college that day. This way, I could keep on track of everything I needed to know whilst doing it in the most high-yield way possible.

High yield topics
The more past papers you do, you’ll notice that certain topics come up year after year so it’s always a good idea to make sure you know these topics inside out!

Utilise your free periods
Especially around exam time, using your free periods at college meant that you can fit extra bits of revision into your day. I found that if I had been more productive during the day and used my free periods properly, I had less to do once I got home.

Take care of yourself
Staying physically and mentally well during exam time really is the key to success! There of loads of studies that show getting enough sleep and eating and drinking properly improves exam performance. Having a bit of time at night to do something you enjoy and to help you
wind down will be much better for you in the long run.

I hope this helps some of you and best of luck in your exams!

-Rebecca, UCLan
Original post by UCLan Student
Since a-levels are only 2 weeks away, I wanted to put together a little list of some of my top tips for revision and exam time!
Never too late to start
It’s never too late to start revising, whilst it’s better to get a head start and begin early, don’t let it put you off as starting now is better than never starting at all! Which brings me onto my second tip…
Figure out your weaknesses
We all know it is easy to focus on revising the bits you are good at / find easy but it is so easy to neglect the more tricky subjects or the ones you hate! I found a good way to find my weaknesses was to complete a past paper or 2 and then look at any topics I got wrong and use this to guide my revision. I often found it was the same topics I was getting wrong each time and this was a great way to work out what they are!
Make a list
Making a list or tracker of everything you need to go over means you can keep on track of everything! I found that creating a revision plan was a bit of a waste of time for me as you never knew what might be covered at college that day. This way, I could keep on track of everything I needed to know whilst doing it in the most high-yield way possible.
High yield topics
The more past papers you do, you’ll notice that certain topics come up year after year so it’s always a good idea to make sure you know these topics inside out!
Utilise your free periods
Especially around exam time, using your free periods at college meant that you can fit extra bits of revision into your day. I found that if I had been more productive during the day and used my free periods properly, I had less to do once I got home.
Take care of yourself
Staying physically and mentally well during exam time really is the key to success! There of loads of studies that show getting enough sleep and eating and drinking properly improves exam performance. Having a bit of time at night to do something you enjoy and to help you
wind down will be much better for you in the long run.
I hope this helps some of you and best of luck in your exams!
-Rebecca, UCLan

thanks for this Rebecca @UCLan Student I'll let @Pwca add this to the Revision Support thread if she hasn't already! :biggrin:
Hello,

Thanks Rebecca for this! I am a final year medic and I have used all the methods before I found out the best combo for me.

I would also like to mention one of my fave study methods:

Pomodoro method

It really helps with my concentration!

Best of luck,
Haya
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending