The Student Room Group

Leeds Vs Exeter for Law?

I have received offers for Leeds, Newcastle and Exeter university. Which one should I pick?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
u said leeds do u mean the university of law in leeds
I meant University of Leeds Law School, not the University of Law.
Reply 3
Original post by HermioneGrangers
I meant University of Leeds Law School, not the University of Law.

tbh many friends sibilings say that they didnt really like that uni
love ur user btw
Original post by hermionegrangers
I have received offers for Leeds, Newcastle and Exeter university. Which one should I pick?

Not Newcastle unless there's something particularly drawing you to it, e.g. it's closer to home. Both Exeter and Leeds are more respected in the legal industry. For example, the top commercial law firms send their employers to both to deliver talks and hold networking events. I would recommend choosing between Exeter and Leeds based on which will suit you better academically and socially as they are interchangeable in terms of reputation/career prospects. Look at the modules and exam structure for both and see which appeals to you more. Also do some research into the student experience, perhaps watching Tiktok/YouTube videos from people who attend but aren't talking through the university's official account. Leeds is likely to have more people from different walks of life whereas Exeter has a strong upper-middle class presence. I'm sure you'll be able to find your people at either, but it's something to consider, especially as this impacts the nightlife if that's important to you
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
For Law, Leeds is ranked above Exeter, which is ranked above Newcastle, worldwide for Law. As universities in general, Leeds is ranked worldwide above Newcastle, which is above Exeter. Source QS Rankings 2024.

But is this fair on Exeter? Leeds, with about 26000 students, has more students than Newcastle (about 21000), who have more students than Exeter (about 20000). Exeter's size counts against it in world rankings but its research quality for all subjects on average (84%) is equal with Leeds (Newcastle is on 82%) and its research intensity (69%) is higher than Leeds (65%. Newcastle is on 70%). But for research in Law, Leeds is on 88% quality, Exeter 81%, Newcastle. Source: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk

In 2019 (the most recent update I can find, unfortunately) Chamberstudents reported than Exeter has a higher percentage (4.9%) than Leeds (3%) of Law firms employing graduates from those universities, with Newcastle (2.2%) behind both. In 2016, Leeds had been ahead of Exeter. So, if each law school is in the same proportion to the size of its university, Exeter Law graduates are definitely most successful of all 3.

But is this because of who Exeter students were before they went to university?
Entry requirements at Exeter are no higher than at Leeds for Law (73%. At Newcastle, it's 71%). In general, across all subjects, Exeter entrants have 77%, Leeds 76%, Newcastle 71%. But a difference is there'll be more private school educated students at Exeter (34.5% in 2022) than Newcastle (23.4%) and Leeds (17.7%). A higher proportion of private school entrants can sometimes suggest, if not add, prestige but since more of them going to private school only ended up with the same entry grades as Leeds, it could be argued either way.

In general, it's probably safe to say that a student would pick:

Leeds out of those because they like the city, the campus, the accommodation, the research quality for Law and in general, its worldwide ranking, and the socioeconomic diversity of students most.

Newcastle out of those because they like the city, the campus, the accommodation, and its commitment to doing research for subjects in general, most. Plus if they like the idea of studying in the North of England, with a percentage of private school students that's on the higher side, but that's not Durham (Newcastle University used to be a constituent college of Durham University until the 1960s).

Exeter out of those because they like the city, the campus, the accommodation, its research quality in general (but not necessarily for Law) and its Law graduate success (n.b. possibly still helps, for confidence, if you went to private school) most. If they like the idea of studying with the highest percentage of private school students of the 3.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending