The Student Room Group

Car insurance occupation in the summer before uni

I have recently finished working during my gap year, I start at uni in october and want to insure myself on my car for a few months - would I have to put myself down as unemployed or could I put myself as a student?
Original post by os282b
I have recently finished working during my gap year, I start at uni in october and want to insure myself on my car for a few months - would I have to put myself down as unemployed or could I put myself as a student?

What will you be doing between now and October?

If you'll be taking any exams, then you could legitimately say you were a student. Otherwise you're simply unemployed.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What will you be doing between now and October?
If you'll be taking any exams, then you could legitimately say you were a student. Otherwise you're simply unemployed.

Ah ok, I am not doing any exams before I start uni so I guess I will have to pay up the extra 50%
Reply 3
Original post by os282b
Ah ok, I am not doing any exams before I start uni so I guess I will have to pay up the extra 50%

Are you a confirmed student i.e. position is confirmed and accepted? If so / once you have, you can phone the insurance and change your policy and it'll give you a refund on the difference in price.
Reply 4
Original post by oligti
Are you a confirmed student i.e. position is confirmed and accepted? If so / once you have, you can phone the insurance and change your policy and it'll give you a refund on the difference in price.

I have a confirmed accepted place already as I have all my grades already, I would only need cover over the summer as I wouldn't be able to drive while at uni
Reply 5
Original post by os282b
I have a confirmed accepted place already as I have all my grades already, I would only need cover over the summer as I wouldn't be able to drive while at uni

A parents car? If so definitely just use temporary insurance for the hours/days that you use. Will be about £30 per day I reckon.
Reply 6
Original post by oligti
A parents car? If so definitely just use temporary insurance for the hours/days that you use. Will be about £30 per day I reckon.

My own car, not sure I would want either of my parents to take out a policy on it and add myself as a named driver as this would probably be fronting as I would drive it more
Reply 7
Original post by os282b
My own car, not sure I would want either of my parents to take out a policy on it and add myself as a named driver as this would probably be fronting as I would drive it more

What car do you have out of interest? Some cars you can still use as temp insurance even if its your own.

Also to prevent fronting you could just get one of your parents to drive about in it ie to work once a week.
Reply 8
Original post by oligti
What car do you have out of interest? Some cars you can still use as temp insurance even if its your own.
Also to prevent fronting you could just get one of your parents to drive about in it ie to work once a week.

W reg BMW z3 1.9i (not compatible with most black boxes lmfao, even worse)

If my father for example is registered owner and drives it once a week, is it not fronting if I drive it multiple times a week?
Reply 9
Original post by os282b
W reg BMW z3 1.9i (not compatible with most black boxes lmfao, even worse)
If my father for example is registered owner and drives it once a week, is it not fronting if I drive it multiple times a week?

I think you've seen this answer coming then for a Z3 😂 At 18 you're just going to have to cough up unfortunately.

However - black boxes will be compatable - my 1994 mk2 Polo I had when i passed my test a few years ago I had a blackbox in and that doesnt have any power steering abs airbags etc let alone an OBD2 slot!!

Technically that might be classed as fronting, but in reality as long as he drives it and it's not clearly a young lads car (i.e. dont stick any tacky mods on it - yes that means things like stickers and spoilers!!) Dont take this as legal advice however lol
Reply 10
Original post by oligti
I think you've seen this answer coming then for a Z3 😂 At 18 you're just going to have to cough up unfortunately.
However - black boxes will be compatable - my 1994 mk2 Polo I had when i passed my test a few years ago I had a blackbox in and that doesnt have any power steering abs airbags etc let alone an OBD2 slot!!
Technically that might be classed as fronting, but in reality as long as he drives it and it's not clearly a young lads car (i.e. dont stick any tacky mods on it - yes that means things like stickers and spoilers!!) Dont take this as legal advice however lol

who was it insured with with the black box- everything I have looked at has said it is incompatible?
Reply 11
Original post by os282b
who was it insured with with the black box- everything I have looked at has said it is incompatible?

Sterling insurance was who insured me on the Polo

I have a feeling your problem is being a new driver with such a large engined car rather than it not being blackbox compatable

Assuming you've not even got a year of no claims yet - I'd either say pay the extorsionate amount or unfortunately get a smaller engined car. I'm into my cars too so I know its tough, but there are lots of cool things out there for cheap.

Other than that I'd definitely phone people up rather than use comparison sites. I'm with Admiral right now at 20 - last year I had a Panda 100hp which was 700 for the year and this year I have an Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD which is £1000 (both with no blackbox).

A year in a smaller <1.4 car will half insurance quotes easily, and you can still look cool doing so (I still have my Polo that i use for car shows in summer and attracts a lot of attention being 30 years old) you'll also be able to afford to insure modifications too if thats what you're into

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending