The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Sheffield for Law?

I have conditional offers from both Nottingham and Sheffield to study law and I am really struggling to decide between the two. From visiting them both I had a strong preference for Sheffield- i really felt it was somewhere where i would be happy whereas i didn't get the same energy from Nottingham (not that I would be unhappy I just didn't love it). However Nottingham is ranked higher and has better job prospects and for going into law I don't know whether this needs to be my priority. Basically what I am asking is: is it better to be somewhere i like less but have better employment prospects and is the difference in the universities ranking that significant?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by meglucyh
I have conditional offers from both Nottingham and Sheffield to study law and I am really struggling to decide between the two. From visiting them both I had a strong preference for Sheffield- i really felt it was somewhere where i would be happy whereas i didn't get the same energy from Nottingham (not that I would be unhappy I just didn't love it). However Nottingham is ranked higher and has better job prospects and for going into law I don't know whether this needs to be my priority. Basically what I am asking is: is it better to be somewhere i like less but have better employment prospects and is the difference in the universities ranking that significant?

Hi,

The best advice I can give for choosing your university is to pick the one where you can see yourself finishing your degree. You are going to be studying there for 3/4 or more years, so make sure its somewhere that you are willing to do that.
I have really enjoyed studying in Sheffield for the past 3 years, there are lovely green spaces to go when the weather is good. My friends and I often walk around Weston Park and look at the ducks, especially during a long study session in the libraries.
Sheffield have a chat to us function so you can talk to current students and ask about future jobs or anything else you want to know: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat
Also, are there any differences in the content of the course or the way its taught. The reason you go to university is to get a degree, so make sure you pick one you want to do and believe you will do well.

Hope this is helpful,
Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy-University of Sheffield)
Reply 2
I would say between sheffield and nottingham there is a large difference for law, Nottingham is a top 15 for law in terms of rep and sheffield the tier below that, I imagine nottingham will have a more competitive environment and just be better in general

Quick Reply