The Student Room Group

a level exams :(

Hey guys, I'm in year 13 and exams are starting soon. I'm currently working at CCC (History, Biology, Chemistry) but I'm aiming for at least BBB possibly an A in History. I've been revising intensively since the start of March but it seems like everything I revise just goes into my short-term memory. What can I do to improve in such a short amount of time??
Original post by 35kammy21
Hey guys, I'm in year 13 and exams are starting soon. I'm currently working at CCC (History, Biology, Chemistry) but I'm aiming for at least BBB possibly an A in History. I've been revising intensively since the start of March but it seems like everything I revise just goes into my short-term memory. What can I do to improve in such a short amount of time??

Past papers are your best friend at this point. There’s no point of attempting to learn new content especially for sciences when it’s just too much content to cover especially for bio. Past paper it as much as you can, and you will pick up on the mark scheme and how they typically word their answers. Wish you the best!
Reply 2
Original post by Finance102
Past papers are your best friend at this point. There’s no point of attempting to learn new content especially for sciences when it’s just too much content to cover especially for bio. Past paper it as much as you can, and you will pick up on the mark scheme and how they typically word their answers. Wish you the best!

Thank you so much!
Reply 3

unfortunately, i highly disagree as i was put in the same situation last year in year 13, i had really bad memory and by the time it got closer to exams my only hope was solving past papers starting of feb up to my exams because that was the advice i was given, currently im resitting all my a levels as that advice did not work for me AT ALL!!!
for bio chem and psychology, but again this was my personal experience xx goodluck
Reply 4

I think there's definitely still time to cover biology conent
Original post by Aserace
I think there's definitely still time to cover biology conent

Yes I agree, don’t give up on content but do past papers alongside it (I did past paper questions by topic on physics and maths tutor).

Hi,
I’m in year 12, but I have some tips to share.

If things only go into your short term memory, it’s probably because you haven’t practiced active recall enough. After going over content (videos, notes, etc) make sure to do some topic-based practice e.g using textbooks or workbooks. Make sure you are using exam-style questions which you can find on websites such as the official exam board ones or PhysicsMathsTutor.

As others mentioned in this thread, past papers are your best friend, but let me add what’s more important is what you do with the past papers after you’ve finished. If you open a past paper and find you can’t answer any questions at all, stop. Make a note of the topics in the past paper and go over them with flashcards or videos. If you complete a past paper, make a checklist to traffic light (red amber or green) each topic and prioritise your red topics for review
I did bio and chem. I also recommend being strategic. It's impossible now to learn every topic. Focus on strengthening the ones you find easier and look at past papers to see the patterns of the questions. Especially, look at the topics that didn't come up last year and common 6 markers. SOMETIMES you can get away with not understanding the topic. I never understood kidneys but I just memorised the common 6 marker that always comes up and didn't bother with the rest. Same with PCR and stuff. Luckily that was enough for my exam and I came out with an A.
Reply 8
Original post by prince ali
I did bio and chem. I also recommend being strategic. It's impossible now to learn every topic. Focus on strengthening the ones you find easier and look at past papers to see the patterns of the questions. Especially, look at the topics that didn't come up last year and common 6 markers. SOMETIMES you can get away with not understanding the topic. I never understood kidneys but I just memorised the common 6 marker that always comes up and didn't bother with the rest. Same with PCR and stuff. Luckily that was enough for my exam and I came out with an A.

What do you mean by learn? Like learn from scratch? I mean I know most topics quite nicely. Just a few are slightly iffy but it usually takes me about an hour per topic to learn from scratch. The only topics I really don't know are about 3 in biology as my school just finished teaching them.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Aserace
What do you mean by learn? Like learn from scratch? I mean I know most topics quite nicely. Just a few are slightly iffy but it usually takes me about an hour per topic to learn from scratch. The only topics I really don't know are about 3 in biology as my school just finished teaching them.

That's great!! I just mean when you're revising, don't try to memorise everything for every topic. Master the topics you are most confident with and just learn the most common answers for topics you aren't as confident with.

idk about other exam boards but I did AQA and there's that 25 mark essay as well so make sure you get some good practice with those too if you're doing them as most of my friends ran out of time in the actual exam.
Original post by Prince Ali
That's great!! I just mean when you're revising, don't try to memorise everything for every topic. Master the topics you are most confident with and just learn the most common answers for topics you aren't as confident with.
idk about other exam boards but I did AQA and there's that 25 mark essay as well so make sure you get some good practice with those too if you're doing them as most of my friends ran out of time in the actual exam.

Aha I do OCR A luckily, so no 25 marker!! Just pure memory and questions :smile:
Reply 11
Okay guys, thank you for all your advice! Honestly, I really really appreciate it. Good luck to everyone doing exams!
okay guys, thank you for all your advice! Honestly, i really really appreciate it. Good luck to everyone doing exams!

best of luck!!!!! You'll smash this💪💪💪

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending