The Student Room Group

How expensive is it to live in london?

See, I am from the country side in Somerset, i have been looking at some london unis (west london uni) and I’ve been quite interested, especially in their tourism courses since they’re paired with Heathrow. My parents aren’t so keen as they think it is super expensive to live there, which I know yes the cost of living is definitely higher and so is the accommodation. I do know also that you receive more student loan if you study in london. I haven’t really been able to speak to anyone who has studied in london to get a realistic idea if it actually unmanageable or not. I would entitled to the max maintenance loan.
My parents are fine with the idea of me studying in Brighton, which is also pretty expensive.
Any advice on what it is like to study In London in term of finance would be appreciated 😌 most ppl around me just say not to study there at all.
Original post by Sevenlolol
See, I am from the country side in Somerset, i have been looking at some london unis (west london uni) and I’ve been quite interested, especially in their tourism courses since they’re paired with Heathrow. My parents aren’t so keen as they think it is super expensive to live there, which I know yes the cost of living is definitely higher and so is the accommodation. I do know also that you receive more student loan if you study in london. I haven’t really been able to speak to anyone who has studied in london to get a realistic idea if it actually unmanageable or not. I would entitled to the max maintenance loan.
My parents are fine with the idea of me studying in Brighton, which is also pretty expensive.
Any advice on what it is like to study In London in term of finance would be appreciated 😌 most ppl around me just say not to study there at all.

if you get the maximum finance its definitely do-able. most people only get 6 grand student loan which is why they said its difficult, however if you get the maximum plus work part time you can easily live off like 18 grand a year .

If you can go to unis outside London, don't go to London. It is unnecessarily expensive, violence is rife, too busy and the cost of living is insanely high. Your student loan wont cut it and you could end up either having to work or begging your parents for support.
Reply 3
Hi, I'm studying in London on max loan and it is definitely doable! If you're good at watching your spending you could even have some left over lol.
The post above exaggerates quite a bit lolz.
I personally love London and think it's a good experience to have if you can :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by cersef
Hi, I'm studying in London on max loan and it is definitely doable! If you're good at watching your spending you could even have some left over lol.
The post above exaggerates quite a bit lolz.
I personally love London and think it's a good experience to have if you can :smile:)

Yeah over here there isn’t much to do so I’d love to live in a city. Either London or Brighton I think 🙂 thank you for your comment it is helpful lol

What is the maxiumum loan you will get? Do you have any other savings etc to help you too?
It’s a crime to pay and live in London. I am already at the brink of bankruptcy due to the cost of living.
Reply 7
Original post by Kutie Karen
What is the maxiumum loan you will get? Do you have any other savings etc to help you too?

The max loan I can get Is £13,348 if I studied in London, I still have my 1000 trust fund, and I probably would qualify for the unis bursary fund.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending