The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

idk what to do about university

i am in year 13 and was wondering if i get abb can i do econ at queens belfast uni im in london is it hard to get in through clearing
Original post by ramare23
i am in year 13 and was wondering if i get abb can i do econ at queens belfast uni im in london is it hard to get in through clearing

Well, their entry requirements are "ABB + GCSE Mathematics grade A/7" (source), so as long as you have that GCSE Maths grade, and secure an ABB then you've got a good chance of securing any places they have available in Clearing.

Of course, no-one knows whether Economics will be available in Clearing this year or not (as it depends what grades their applicants get).

Economics at QUB went into Clearing in August 2021 - they were asking for "BBC/BBD+b (AS-level) + GCSE Mathematics grade A/7".

Last year, 211 courses were available via Clearing including drama, history and marine biology. However, I don't know whether Economics was available that year. (source)

Are you preparing for a scenario where you miss your firm and insurance choices?
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Well, their entry requirements are "ABB + GCSE Mathematics grade A/7" (source), so as long as you have that GCSE Maths grade, and secure an ABB then you've got a good chance of securing any places they have available in Clearing.
Of course, no-one knows whether Economics will be available in Clearing this year or not (as it depends what grades their applicants get).
Economics at QUB went into Clearing in August 2021 - they were asking for "BBC/BBD+b (AS-level) + GCSE Mathematics grade A/7".
Last year, 211 courses were available via Clearing including drama, history and marine biology. However, I don't know whether Economics was available that year. (source)
Are you preparing for a scenario where you miss your firm and insurance choices?

My predicted grades were very low and had to apply to unis i wouldnt really go to so thats why im looking at taking a gap year or going into a uni through clearing and queens uni belfast looked like a good option since abb entry req for a russell group uni seemed quite lower then the others but maybe this is also due to the fact the uni is in northern ireland.
Original post by ramare23
My predicted grades were very low and had to apply to unis i wouldnt really go to so thats why im looking at taking a gap year or going into a uni through clearing and queens uni belfast looked like a good option since abb entry req for a russell group uni seemed quite lower then the others but maybe this is also due to the fact the uni is in northern ireland.

Why the focus on Russell Groups unis? It's a marketing group (created to drive research funding to its members) and tells you nothing about the quality of teaching or the student experience.

Did you realise that 2 if the top 10 unis for Economics aren't even in the Russell Group (St. Andrews and Bath)?

However, as you've surmised, the reason for the lower entry requirements at QUB is likely to be to attract students who might not otherwise have considered it due to its location.

A level requirements don't tend to be set based upon the required capability of candidates (i.e. "unless you have at least a grade A you just won't be able to understand the content"), but are instead set as a way to reduce the applicant pool. (A university with more applicants than places will naturally want those with the best grades.)

If the location of QUB is not an issue for you, and you like the look of the course, university, and city - and if you're convinced that you need to attend a Russell Group uni - then it's likely a good option. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending