The Student Room Group

should I change GCSEs?

Hi everyone I’m in Yr9 and have just chosen my GCSEs. As well as the usual ones and triple science, I’m doing Religious Studies, History, Drama and French (we have to do a language). I want to be an interior designer when I’m older and have realised that a levels and university courses in interior design seem to all require a GCSE in art/design technology (unsurprisingly) which I am not doing. I absolutely hate art and didn’t choose d.t because I have a friend in Yr11 who said it’s ruined d.t for her and also I don’t know which subject I would drop for d.t. I’m really not sure what to do. Also, I’ve researched online about online interior design related courses and the only ones I have found are art (no way I’m doing that) and photography which is firstly, very expensive and secondly, it sounds very difficult and I’m not sure if I’d be able to do that and finally, i don’t think it’s very relevant to interior design. If anyone has any suggestions for what to do please reply. Sorry this is so long, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by yellow74
Hi everyone I’m in Yr9 and have just chosen my GCSEs. As well as the usual ones and triple science, I’m doing Religious Studies, History, Drama and French (we have to do a language). I want to be an interior designer when I’m older and have realised that a levels and university courses in interior design seem to all require a GCSE in art/design technology (unsurprisingly) which I am not doing. I absolutely hate art and didn’t choose d.t because I have a friend in Yr11 who said it’s ruined d.t for her and also I don’t know which subject I would drop for d.t. I’m really not sure what to do. Also, I’ve researched online about online interior design related courses and the only ones I have found are art (no way I’m doing that) and photography which is firstly, very expensive and secondly, it sounds very difficult and I’m not sure if I’d be able to do that and finally, i don’t think it’s very relevant to interior design. If anyone has any suggestions for what to do please reply. Sorry this is so long, thanks :smile:

not sure if this’ll help but i was in ur situation before, do you have anyone you can speak to, like a member of staff who sorts out options/careers? if you speak to them and let them know about the fact you want to change your options, surely they’ll consider it? you know what you want to do and how to achieve it, so there’s no reason why they wouldn’t be able to change ur options. when i was in y9 i picked rubbish options but i spoke to the lady who sorted out options and she managed to get me onto the options i wanted. sorry if this doesnt help but good luck!
Reply 2
I think I should (hopefully) be able to change my options tysm x
Reply 3
I think I should (hopefully) be able to change my options tysm x

no worries! hope it goes well x
Reply 4

hi! I was in your position in year 9 and I had no idea what to do. I'm not a particularly artsy person but I am really keen into getting into a creative industry and so I chose textiles despite not being the best at art I'm doing really well. Since you're doing two humanities (history and rs) maybe consider swapping one of those out for an art subject. I have two friends who want to go into interior design. one of them is doing d.t which she loves and the other is doing ICT to focus on a more digital based design. If you didn't like artsy subjects you could consider ICT? I'm sure you'll do great in whatever you pick, I know it seems daunting now, but once you've made your decision you'll succeed to whatever you put your mind to. good luck x
Reply 5
Original post by sophie8907
hi! I was in your position in year 9 and I had no idea what to do. I'm not a particularly artsy person but I am really keen into getting into a creative industry and so I chose textiles despite not being the best at art I'm doing really well. Since you're doing two humanities (history and rs) maybe consider swapping one of those out for an art subject. I have two friends who want to go into interior design. one of them is doing d.t which she loves and the other is doing ICT to focus on a more digital based design. If you didn't like artsy subjects you could consider ICT? I'm sure you'll do great in whatever you pick, I know it seems daunting now, but once you've made your decision you'll succeed to whatever you put your mind to. good luck x

this is so so sweet tysm, I think I'm just gonna stick with what I've chosen for now as I'm really not sure what to drop and then I'll figure out a levels and uni when I get to it. but honestly this message was so nice thanks again xx

Hi. So, if interior design wants gcse art then that means it probably involves the stuff you learn in art. I found it quite strange reading your post because it seems you want to go into interior design but you'd hate to study what you need to qualify for a course. When we were choosing gcses and a-levels, (I'm y12) advice we were given went something along the lines of:

If you want to do a subject at university and find that it requires an a-level/gcse that you hate, maybe rethink what you want to study.

I can say this applied to me because I wanted to do creative writing and found courses at good unis wanted english literature which I hated BUT you are only year 9 - at your age I wanted to do history at uni but now I definitely don't want to. It's possible by the time you apply for unis in a few years you don't want to go into interior design? The gcses you chose are subjects you enjoy, yes? Maybe stick them out since you seem reluctant to drop any for a more arty course.

Anyway, i hope this helps and i'm not too late lol.

Quick Reply