The Student Room Group

Should I choose KCL Law or Durham Law

Hi, I have been really stressed about this topic. I have an offer from both. However I hear both good and bad things about their courses and in general. I hear that Durham is more prestigious but kcal has a higher university ranking. Im an International student but plan on staying in England.
Original post by talya16
Hi, I have been really stressed about this topic. I have an offer from both. However I hear both good and bad things about their courses and in general. I hear that Durham is more prestigious but kcal has a higher university ranking. Im an International student but plan on staying in England.

In terms of having a legal career in England, employers recognise both as great universities and there is no preference. They are both seen as equally prestigious and they often switch places in rankings depending on the year. The only thing to consider in terms of prestige/reputation is whether a degree from KCL would be more recognised in your home country due to having a strong reputation internationally. While you may want to stay in England after university, this is likely to only be possible if you are able to secure a high-paying grad job which can be quite competitive to get. The government have recently announced that foreign workers will need to earn £30,000 or more to stay in the country. Therefore, having a degree from KCL could act as a safety net in case you aren't able to obtain one of these but whether you choose to take this into consideration is obviously up to you.

The two are very different in terms of student experience. KCL is very international which may make the transition easier, while Durham is primarily made up of UK students. KCL obviously has much more of a busy city feel being in London, while Durham is a small, quiet town essentially in the middle of nowhere. It is a 15 minute train ride from a city called Newcastle, which apparently has a good nightlife and lots of shops, although it certainly isn't as big as London. Durham also has the college system so has more of a community feel, whereas your community at KCL is likely to primarily revolve around the friend group you make as opposed to being created by the university. Aside from the point about KCL being more internationally recognised, you should make your decision on which you'd prefer socially as like I said, the UK career prospects at both are the same
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending