The Student Room Group

Uni recommendations for Geography BA

So I’m year 12 and currently trying to decide which universities I want to apply for, and which one I want to go to if I’m accepted. I want to do a Geography BA and I’d also like to do a year abroad in the US. So far the uni’s I’ve looked into the most are Exeter and KCL as they’re both good uni’s with good geography courses (from what I’ve heard) and are realistic to get into. My only issue with KCL is the poor student satisfaction, and my problem with Exeter is that the city itself seems a bit empty and I’ve heard a lot of bad reviews from students (albeit they might not be true). Though I’m still considering them, It would be good if anyone could recommend a uni to me that I might have not previously considered, and if anyone could share their experience as a geography student at their university that would also be cool. Thanks for any responses in advance
Original post by E7han
So I’m year 12 and currently trying to decide which universities I want to apply for, and which one I want to go to if I’m accepted. I want to do a Geography BA and I’d also like to do a year abroad in the US. So far the uni’s I’ve looked into the most are Exeter and KCL as they’re both good uni’s with good geography courses (from what I’ve heard) and are realistic to get into. My only issue with KCL is the poor student satisfaction, and my problem with Exeter is that the city itself seems a bit empty and I’ve heard a lot of bad reviews from students (albeit they might not be true). Though I’m still considering them, It would be good if anyone could recommend a uni to me that I might have not previously considered, and if anyone could share their experience as a geography student at their university that would also be cool. Thanks for any responses in advance

Hi @E7han,
Lancaster has a Ba Geography course with study abroad in America. I've attached the course page if your interested Geography (Study Abroad) BA Hons (L705) - Lancaster University.
I'm currently in my 3rd year studying physical geography at Lancaster, and ive had such a great time, the course has been so interesting and engaging and the lecturers have been so friendly and happy to help with different modules or career ideas. The course has been very hands on with lots of opportunities for practical's and fieldwork which has been really useful in enhancing the learning done in lecturers.
If you have any questions about studying geography at university, feel free to ask!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @E7han,
Lancaster has a Ba Geography course with study abroad in America. I've attached the course page if your interested Geography (Study Abroad) BA Hons (L705) - Lancaster University.
I'm currently in my 3rd year studying physical geography at Lancaster, and ive had such a great time, the course has been so interesting and engaging and the lecturers have been so friendly and happy to help with different modules or career ideas. The course has been very hands on with lots of opportunities for practical's and fieldwork which has been really useful in enhancing the learning done in lecturers.
If you have any questions about studying geography at university, feel free to ask!

Thank for the information, I’ll definitely consider Lancaster as it isn’t one that I’ve given much thought to yet, however I live over 250 miles away meaning I wouldn’t be able to go to the open day, which is quite important to me as I’d like to get a feel for the university before putting it down as one of my options. Thanks for offering your perspective though and I’m glad you’ve enjoyed your time there
Original post by e7han

Good evening @E7han ,

It's great to hear you are thinking about studying geography.

At the University of Reading, we have 7 options for a geography course, including but not limited to BSc Human Geography, BSc physical Geography, BSc human and physical geography and BSc Geography and economics.
To look at the courses in further detail, please use this link.

We have professional and placement year options available for most of the geography courses, so you may want to look into this further.

I noticed you mentioned not being able to attend certain open days. However, the University of Reading has a virtual online tour, which you may like. It was made so prospective students could look around the university from the comforts of their home. This link will take you to the corresponding webpage. I hope this allows you to explore the university to help you decide.

However, if you would like to attend an in-person open event, our next event is on Friday the 14th and Saturday the 15th of June. Further information for the open events can be found here.

Similarly, you may like to speak to Hafren, a second-year geography student at the University of Reading. You can contact Hafren via our uni buddy service by following this link.

If you have any questions about this course please do let us know, we are happy to help.

Many thanks
Ella 😄

1st Year Ecology and Wildlife Conservation.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading
Good evening @E7han ,
It's great to hear you are thinking about studying geography.
At the University of Reading, we have 7 options for a geography course, including but not limited to BSc Human Geography, BSc physical Georgrgagpjhy, BSc human and physical geography and BSc Geography and economics.
To look at the courses in further detail, please use this link.
We have professional and placement year options available for most of the geography courses, so you may want to look into this further.
I noticed you mentioned not being able to attend certain open days. However, the University of Reading has a virtual online tour, which you may like. It was made so prospective students could look around the university from the comforts of their home. This link will take you to the corresponding webpage. I hope this allows you to explore the university to help you decide.
However, if you would like to attend an in-person open event, our next event is on Friday the 14th and Saturday the 15th of June. Further information for the open events can be found here.
Similarly, you may like to speak to Hafren, a second-year geography student at the University of Reading. You can contact Hafren via our uni buddy service by following this link.
If you have any questions about this course please do let us know, we are happy to help.
Many thanks
Ella 😄
1st Year Ecology and Wildlife Conservation.

Hi, I appreciate you taking the time to respond and good luck on your ecology and wildlife conservation course, however I’m not interested in the BSc as I ******* hate science, although if I was I would definitely consider Reading.
Original post by E7han
Thank for the information, I’ll definitely consider Lancaster as it isn’t one that I’ve given much thought to yet, however I live over 250 miles away meaning I wouldn’t be able to go to the open day, which is quite important to me as I’d like to get a feel for the university before putting it down as one of my options. Thanks for offering your perspective though and I’m glad you’ve enjoyed your time there

Hi @E7han,
The university does run a few online open days throughout the year, if you were interested in attending one of these. Alternatively there's a virtual tour of lancaster uni here Lancaster University virtual tour (lancaster-university.uk).
Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @E7han,
The university does run a few online open days throughout the year, if you were interested in attending one of these. Alternatively there's a virtual tour of lancaster uni here Lancaster University virtual tour (lancaster-university.uk).
Hope this helps!

Respectfully, online open days are not adequate substitutes for in-person open days, however I am still considering Lancaster anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending