The Student Room Group

EPQ grade boundaries 2024

I have just received my final internally moderated EPQ mark- 44/50. For context, the AQA EPQ grade boundary has been 45/50 for an A* until 2019, where the boundary lowered to 44/50, presumably due to COVID. The 2023 boundary was 45/50 again. Is there any chance of it dropping to 44/50 once more this year?

Probably a bit of a useless question, but I'm devastated about potentially missing the A* and it would be nice to have some hope.
Original post by Lily__S
I have just received my final internally moderated EPQ mark- 44/50. For context, the AQA EPQ grade boundary has been 45/50 for an A* until 2019, where the boundary lowered to 44/50, presumably due to COVID. The 2023 boundary was 45/50 again. Is there any chance of it dropping to 44/50 once more this year?
Probably a bit of a useless question, but I'm devastated about potentially missing the A* and it would be nice to have some hope.
Sigh I doubt they would lower it. Could you appeal potentially and ask which criteria you lacked in?
Reply 2
We already have access to our feedback; while there was some clear criticism for AO1, I lost most of my marks in AO3 for which there was no explanation why. While I would love to appeal like you said, I don't think you can appeal after the marks have been internally moderated. Just have to wait for external moderation now- if my marker was harsh on the entire cohort, external moderation will pick it up and remark the whole group, which has awarded students extra marks before.

To be honest, I don't really think grade boundaries will change either. Just wishful thinking on my part 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by Lily__S

Unlikely it will drop.

As part of getting your marks, you should have been given the ability to appeal it. It may be worth going down this avenue if you feel like it (nothing to lose as you would still get the A if your mark went down)
Reply 4
Original post by mesub
Unlikely it will drop.
As part of getting your marks, you should have been given the ability to appeal it. It may be worth going down this avenue if you feel like it (nothing to lose as you would still get the A if your mark went down)
Hi, do you know where I could appeal? My teacher just announced the marks on Teams so nothing formal. I've tried looking on the AQA website but there's no clear answer there ☹️
Reply 5
Original post by Lily__S
Hi, do you know where I could appeal? My teacher just announced the marks on Teams so nothing formal. I've tried looking on the AQA website but there's no clear answer there ☹️

You would need to contact your teacher // your subject leader for EPQ.
Reply 6
Ahh okay thanks!
Original post by Lily__S
We already have access to our feedback; while there was some clear criticism for AO1, I lost most of my marks in AO3 for which there was no explanation why. While I would love to appeal like you said, I don't think you can appeal after the marks have been internally moderated. Just have to wait for external moderation now- if my marker was harsh on the entire cohort, external moderation will pick it up and remark the whole group, which has awarded students extra marks before.
To be honest, I don't really think grade boundaries will change either. Just wishful thinking on my part 🙂

Damn AO3. I've only seen it go up for AO2 ngl. Wishing you luck and still good job on 44/50.
Reply 8
Original post by Tulipbloom
Damn AO3. I've only seen it go up for AO2 ngl. Wishing you luck and still good job on 44/50.

That's really helpful info actually! I did lose 1 mark on AO2 and there was a comment about needing to "check (something) in moderation"- I think I'll ask about that, as they said that all my referencing was consistent and clear, but it sounds like they were unsure about something. And thanks- I am still pretty proud of myself 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending