The Student Room Group

Banking account for international students under 18?

Planning to attend Durham. What are the best options?
Reply 1
Original post by giant-wong

Hey,

May I ask how old you are as it greatly changes the accounts I can recommend?

Unfortunately, most student accounts have age and residency requirements. Typically, these accounts require a minimum age of 18 (some 17) and at least 3 years of UK residency.

With this in mind, you have two options. I recommend searching for a teen bank account with flexible residency requirements, OR a basic bank account in the UK eligible for individuals under 18.

Basic Bank Accounts in the UK are available for everyone, you don't necessarily have to be a resident but the majority are for 18+. Virgin Money M, The Co-Operative Bank Cashminder, Santander Basic Current Account are all basic bank accounts and available for 16+
Reply 2
Original post by rolandka
Hey,
May I ask how old you are as it greatly changes the accounts I can recommend?
Unfortunately, most student accounts have age and residency requirements. Typically, these accounts require a minimum age of 18 (some 17) and at least 3 years of UK residency.
With this in mind, you have two options. I recommend searching for a teen bank account with flexible residency requirements, OR a basic bank account in the UK eligible for individuals under 18.
Basic Bank Accounts in the UK are available for everyone, you don't necessarily have to be a resident but the majority are for 18+. Virgin Money M, The Co-Operative Bank Cashminder, Santander Basic Current Account are all basic bank accounts and available for 16+

Thank you very much. Very informative.
Original post by giant-wong

Will you turn 18 before you start uni? If so, you might be able to apply for the HSBC International Student Bank Account before you arrive. With other accounts, you will have to wait until you are in the UK to open one.

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accounts/products/international-student/

Quick Reply