The Student Room Group

Head Girl

Hi everyone! I recently became Head Girl and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to be a good Head Girl, what things they wish they knew before they started in this position etc, I would really appreciate any advice!
Original post by freyafredriksson
Hi everyone! I recently became Head Girl and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to be a good Head Girl, what things they wish they knew before they started in this position etc, I would really appreciate any advice!

okay i've never been head girl but my school has head girl + deputy head girls and they are seriously the best (we got arranged a sleepover in school). for our school, the candidates have to present speeches to each year group and get voted for based on their speech. assuming you do something similar:

please please please DON'T MAKE PROMISES YOU CAN'T KEEP! Some girl told us she'd turn our school parking lot in the basement no one uses into an area students can play games AND IT NEVER HAPPENED. disappointing. if you want to make promises make them realistic, make them things you know the school would allow and something the student body would actually enjoy.

also a lot of head girls say something along the lines of 'your opinions/voice matters' and they'll take everything you say into consideration. starters, a lot of the students won't even voice their opinions unless they're the really loud ones. second, candidates/head girls say that and it never happens. they don't consider anything. SO PLEASE ACTUALLY CONSIDER WHAT CHANGES/ADDITIONS STUDENTS PROPOSE. it makes sense if you consider it and then know it can't be carried out by please don't push it to the side if you haven't even considered it.

also because a lot of students (me) won't go up to the head girl and propose things for the school, try doing something creative to see what students want. for example, those google forms but anonymous and ask students to put in what they'd like to see in the school and discuss it with the leadership team or whatever.

prepare to sacrifice your break and lunch time once in a while. okay. i'm not head girl but i only sometimes see the head girl and deputy head girl during lunch or whatever. sometimes they're just talking to teachers but (and especially times when your school is hosting key events) they'll be off somewhere preparing for the event. of course this might not apply to you but the head girl at my school is definitely busy at times.

LUNCH WITH THE PRINCIPAL. my friend told me that the head girl told her once at lunch she was eating with the principal because they were discussing some stuff and she ended up dropping some food.

awkward silence.

so unless your school loves your principal (my school could never relate) have fun eating with the principal at times. oh and normalise meetings with the principal, even though it won't happen often i assume, it'll still happen (but then again i don't know how your school runs).

get along with your deputy head girl (if you have one) and head boy. our head girls get along really well so in turn all the events and charity fundraises etc. they plan work out really well and the events are enjoyable because it was planned well. i know getting along well doesn't = well planned events but i hope you know what i'm trying to say here - like less arguments, drama etc. do you get what i mean?

prepare for comparison 😭😭 our school doesn't allow study leave and our head girl didn't come into school for more than a week and our deputy head girl didn't come into school for more than 2 WEEKS. and when everyone was complaining about how we should have study leave for exams, they sometimes mentioned how the head girls are taking days off and they're meant to be 'role models' so there's no harm in the students taking days off too. i mean it's not necessarily bad saying that (in my opinion and unless some student is saying it in an insulting way) but maybe it's just something you wouldn't like to normally hear sooo

that's all i can think of. most of these are based off of what i've seen in my school but yours could be completely different so sorry if these don't apply to you. hopefully it's helpful though!
Original post by Moonakitty
okay i've never been head girl but my school has head girl + deputy head girls and they are seriously the best (we got arranged a sleepover in school). for our school, the candidates have to present speeches to each year group and get voted for based on their speech. assuming you do something similar:
please please please DON'T MAKE PROMISES YOU CAN'T KEEP! Some girl told us she'd turn our school parking lot in the basement no one uses into an area students can play games AND IT NEVER HAPPENED. disappointing. if you want to make promises make them realistic, make them things you know the school would allow and something the student body would actually enjoy.
also a lot of head girls say something along the lines of 'your opinions/voice matters' and they'll take everything you say into consideration. starters, a lot of the students won't even voice their opinions unless they're the really loud ones. second, candidates/head girls say that and it never happens. they don't consider anything. SO PLEASE ACTUALLY CONSIDER WHAT CHANGES/ADDITIONS STUDENTS PROPOSE. it makes sense if you consider it and then know it can't be carried out by please don't push it to the side if you haven't even considered it.
also because a lot of students (me) won't go up to the head girl and propose things for the school, try doing something creative to see what students want. for example, those google forms but anonymous and ask students to put in what they'd like to see in the school and discuss it with the leadership team or whatever.
prepare to sacrifice your break and lunch time once in a while. okay. i'm not head girl but i only sometimes see the head girl and deputy head girl during lunch or whatever. sometimes they're just talking to teachers but (and especially times when your school is hosting key events) they'll be off somewhere preparing for the event. of course this might not apply to you but the head girl at my school is definitely busy at times.
LUNCH WITH THE PRINCIPAL. my friend told me that the head girl told her once at lunch she was eating with the principal because they were discussing some stuff and she ended up dropping some food.
awkward silence.
so unless your school loves your principal (my school could never relate) have fun eating with the principal at times. oh and normalise meetings with the principal, even though it won't happen often i assume, it'll still happen (but then again i don't know how your school runs).
get along with your deputy head girl (if you have one) and head boy. our head girls get along really well so in turn all the events and charity fundraises etc. they plan work out really well and the events are enjoyable because it was planned well. i know getting along well doesn't = well planned events but i hope you know what i'm trying to say here - like less arguments, drama etc. do you get what i mean?
prepare for comparison 😭😭 our school doesn't allow study leave and our head girl didn't come into school for more than a week and our deputy head girl didn't come into school for more than 2 WEEKS. and when everyone was complaining about how we should have study leave for exams, they sometimes mentioned how the head girls are taking days off and they're meant to be 'role models' so there's no harm in the students taking days off too. i mean it's not necessarily bad saying that (in my opinion and unless some student is saying it in an insulting way) but maybe it's just something you wouldn't like to normally hear sooo
that's all i can think of. most of these are based off of what i've seen in my school but yours could be completely different so sorry if these don't apply to you. hopefully it's helpful though!

Thank you so much, this is great advice!! I will definitely keep all of this in mind, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input!
Original post by freyafredriksson
do you have an example of your application? writing mine now and wanted to know what else to add!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending