The Student Room Group

Applying for Dentistry

Going to keep it short and simple but need all the advice. Currently 23, suffered a major injury at 16 , I was the first year to do ‘number’ grades officially. Didn’t get jack (exam board wouldnt help and school). Done them at 18 done ok. Recovered fully done A level Bio Chem Psych. With C A A respectively at 21. Was so overwhelmed needed a break. Now looking to do my dream course again. Dentistry. Now initially I applied to optometry and every uni had practically rejected me. So I decided for 2025/2026 entry I’m going for the jump. My GCSE are not going to meet any entry requirements in UK unless I re do them. Which I will. My A level C in Bio will need to be redone. Is there any advice on what needs to be done……
Reply 1
Original post by MM15-FOJ
Going to keep it short and simple but need all the advice. Currently 23, suffered a major injury at 16 , I was the first year to do ‘number’ grades officially. Didn’t get jack (exam board wouldnt help and school). Done them at 18 done ok. Recovered fully done A level Bio Chem Psych. With C A A respectively at 21. Was so overwhelmed needed a break. Now looking to do my dream course again. Dentistry. Now initially I applied to optometry and every uni had practically rejected me. So I decided for 2025/2026 entry I’m going for the jump. My GCSE are not going to meet any entry requirements in UK unless I re do them. Which I will. My A level C in Bio will need to be redone. Is there any advice on what needs to be done……

basically you need to resit your gcse's and also bio. you could look into the gateway to dentistry at bristol and that is a 6 year course and since you have not achieved above AAB you could apply. so you would not have to resit your a level bio. also if you don't mind me asking what gcses would you be retaking so I could give you some advice on how to revise if you would like.
Reply 2
Original post by emm2424
basically you need to resit your gcse's and also bio. you could look into the gateway to dentistry at bristol and that is a 6 year course and since you have not achieved above AAB you could apply. so you would not have to resit your a level bio. also if you don't mind me asking what gcses would you be retaking so I could give you some advice on how to revise if you would like.

Thank you. I’d need to be practically doing maths English triple science bio and Chen again and probably 1 more at least. It’s practically the whole thing.

Quick Reply