The Student Room Group

Qualifications

I am nearly 16 and in the future I want to study psychology at uni. I left my mainstream school at 14 due to mental health problems and have not had a steady education since.
I am currently doing a level 2 maths, english and customer service alongside a level 1 health and social care at a non mainstream college.
I am going to a mainstream college this September all being well and will study health and social care to a level 3. Alongside maths and english gcse.
I’m worried that only having two gcses and a level 3 health and social care won’t be enough to get into a University. I also read that most psychology courses prefer to have science as well as maths and english or does it just depend on the university? Should I study sciences in my own time and get a gcse in that too? If anyone has any advice on what I should do so I have a better chance in the future to get accepted into a uni i’d be so grateful,thank you!
Original post by jazmin69
I am nearly 16 and in the future I want to study psychology at uni. I left my mainstream school at 14 due to mental health problems and have not had a steady education since.
I am currently doing a level 2 maths, english and customer service alongside a level 1 health and social care at a non mainstream college.
I am going to a mainstream college this September all being well and will study health and social care to a level 3. Alongside maths and english gcse.
I’m worried that only having two gcses and a level 3 health and social care won’t be enough to get into a University. I also read that most psychology courses prefer to have science as well as maths and english or does it just depend on the university? Should I study sciences in my own time and get a gcse in that too? If anyone has any advice on what I should do so I have a better chance in the future to get accepted into a uni i’d be so grateful,thank you!

Everything just depends on the university. :smile:

Some universities specify a requirement for Maths or a science. For example, if you were taking A levels, University of Manchester would require "grades AAA including one or more of: Psychology, Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Further Maths, Applied Science." Even if you're taking a BTEC National Extended Diploma, they still require an A level alongside it: "We require successful completion of a BTEC National Extended Diploma at grades DDD alongside grade A in one of the following A-levels: Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology." In fact, that also have quite high GCSE requirements too: "We normally require at least five GCSEs at minimum grade B/6, including English Language and Mathematics. If an applicant has a grade 5 in either English Language or Mathematics, but has a grade 6 in the other subject, we would advise they still apply." This would be an example of a university to which you probably shouldn't apply. (Details here, but the way.)

However, the situation at the neighbouring university, Manchester Metropolitan University, is somewhat different. They're happy with a "Pearson BTEC National Extended Diploma - grade DDM" a list acceptable subjects as "Applied Law; Applied Science; Business; Children's Care, Learning Development; Children's Play, Learning and Development; Enterprise and Entrepreneurship; Environmental Sustainability; Forensic and Criminal Investigation; Health and Social Care; Health Professions; Personal and Business Finance; Pharmaceutical Science; Public Services; Sport and Exercise Sciences." They also require: "GCSE English Language and Mathematics at Grade C or grade 4." This would be an example of a university to which you could apply. (Details here, by the way.)

You ask for advice on, "what I should do so I have a better chance". Do well in your exams. The better grades you get (particularly in your Health and Social Care course), the higher chance you have of being accepted. You don't need GCSE Science (although you will find the occasional university ask for it).
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Everything just depends on the university. :smile:
Some universities specify a requirement for Maths or a science. For example, if you were taking A levels, University of Manchester would require "grades AAA including one or more of: Psychology, Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Further Maths, Applied Science." Even if you're taking a BTEC National Extended Diploma, they still require an A level alongside it: "We require successful completion of a BTEC National Extended Diploma at grades DDD alongside grade A in one of the following A-levels: Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology." In fact, that also have quite high GCSE requirements too: "We normally require at least five GCSEs at minimum grade B/6, including English Language and Mathematics. If an applicant has a grade 5 in either English Language or Mathematics, but has a grade 6 in the other subject, we would advise they still apply." This would be an example of a university to which you probably shouldn't apply. (Details here, but the way.)
However, the situation at the neighbouring university, Manchester Metropolitan University, is somewhat different. They're happy with a "Pearson BTEC National Extended Diploma - grade DDM" a list acceptable subjects as "Applied Law; Applied Science; Business; Children's Care, Learning Development; Children's Play, Learning and Development; Enterprise and Entrepreneurship; Environmental Sustainability; Forensic and Criminal Investigation; Health and Social Care; Health Professions; Personal and Business Finance; Pharmaceutical Science; Public Services; Sport and Exercise Sciences." They also require: "GCSE English Language and Mathematics at Grade C or grade 4." This would be an example of a university to which you could apply. (Details here, by the way.)
You ask for advice on, "what I should do so I have a better chance". Do well in your exams. The better grades you get (particularly in your Health and Social Care course), the higher chance you have of being accepted. You don't need GCSE Science (although you will find the occasional university ask for it).

thank you so much!
Original post by jazmin69
thank you so much!

You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending