The Student Room Group

A level politics and media

Hi,is a level politics and media a good combination.Also what other a level should i do alongside this?
Reply 1
Original post by minz1
Hi,is a level politics and media a good combination.Also what other a level should i do alongside this?

Politics and media sound like a great combination! I'm a current politics student but have a friend who studies media and there is definitely lots of overlap between the two, especially in topics like voting behaviour and the media. For your third subject, I would look into what sort of degree you'd want to study to work out which type of subject would be best for you. If you're interested in studying a social science such as sociology, politics, psychology or law, it would be a wise idea to study a third subject closely related to that field. If you're interested in studying politics specifically, a third subject that could go well with that is sociology or law, as they will help you in certain A level topics and understanding certain modules in your degree. If you think another social science is too much, you could always look into a humanities subject, such as history or philosophy (I study philosophy and psychology alongside politics). Essay-based subjects will help you a lot with developing writing skills. You could lean into the more creative field and look at some arts subjects or look at a language. The one area I don't advise going into, unless you want to study something in this field or perform very highly in this at GCSE is sciences. Usually, most people who STEM subjects intend to study them at university and generally won't take more than one if they don't need them. If you have an interest in say biology and are good at it at GCSE level, then this is a case where taking one STEM subject may be a good choice. Other than that, if you're just looking to maximise your option, the only STEM subject I'd recommend taking is maths, as it will open doors to further social science and STEM related subjects, such as PPE (philosophy, politics and economics) and finance. If I were in your position, I'd probably go for either sociology or law, but it really depends on what your career ambitions are or what you intend to study at university.
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
Politics and media sound like a great combination! I'm a current politics student but have a friend who studies media and there is definitely lots of overlap between the two, especially in topics like voting behaviour and the media. For your third subject, I would look into what sort of degree you'd want to study to work out which type of subject would be best for you. If you're interested in studying a social science such as sociology, politics, psychology or law, it would be a wise idea to study a third subject closely related to that field. If you're interested in studying politics specifically, a third subject that could go well with that is sociology or law, as they will help you in certain A level topics and understanding certain modules in your degree. If you think another social science is too much, you could always look into a humanities subject, such as history or philosophy (I study philosophy and psychology alongside politics). Essay-based subjects will help you a lot with developing writing skills. You could lean into the more creative field and look at some arts subjects or look at a language. The one area I don't advise going into, unless you want to study something in this field or perform very highly in this at GCSE is sciences. Usually, most people who STEM subjects intend to study them at university and generally won't take more than one if they don't need them. If you have an interest in say biology and are good at it at GCSE level, then this is a case where taking one STEM subject may be a good choice. Other than that, if you're just looking to maximise your option, the only STEM subject I'd recommend taking is maths, as it will open doors to further social science and STEM related subjects, such as PPE (philosophy, politics and economics) and finance. If I were in your position, I'd probably go for either sociology or law, but it really depends on what your career ambitions are or what you intend to study at university.

thx so much!.I really appreciate that you took time out to help me.I was actually considering philosophy or maybe English lit.I will probably do philosophy. Thx once again!
Reply 3
Original post by minz1
thx so much!.I really appreciate that you took time out to help me.I was actually considering philosophy or maybe English lit.I will probably do philosophy. Thx once again!

No worries - philosophy goes really well with politics! There's a bit of overlap in ideologies, as some of the key thinkers such as Locke and Mill will be people you study in philosophy. If you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.
im doing history, French and politics and they go together nicely!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending