The Student Room Group

Sqe or lpc

i graduated from my Llb summer 2023 and landed a paralegal job in a well respected company. The way it works there is people paralegal for say two years and then they are offered a TC, and this is a position they would like to continue regardless of the SQE. So my question is to whether complete the lpc part time or sqe part time. I know the lpc tests people to the standard of a trainee whereas the sqe tests people to the standard of an NQ which is one of the things that is putting me off. However doing it via the SQE route I could qualify a year or so quicker and have more control. For example if the company decides to take longer to give me a TC or etc etc. However the LPC does seem a little easier and some exams are open book which is another thing drawing me to it. In terms of the TC there is one paralegal who has been here longer than me who will be offered it next and then it’ll be my turn- so who knows I may be offered a TC a little earlier. I am just so unsure bc of all the uncertainty. I am also unsure if they will ask me to complete my LPC first before embarking on the TC. Please advise !!
Original post by Confused2729372
i graduated from my Llb summer 2023 and landed a paralegal job in a well respected company. The way it works there is people paralegal for say two years and then they are offered a TC, and this is a position they would like to continue regardless of the SQE. So my question is to whether complete the lpc part time or sqe part time. I know the lpc tests people to the standard of a trainee whereas the sqe tests people to the standard of an NQ which is one of the things that is putting me off. However doing it via the SQE route I could qualify a year or so quicker and have more control. For example if the company decides to take longer to give me a TC or etc etc. However the LPC does seem a little easier and some exams are open book which is another thing drawing me to it. In terms of the TC there is one paralegal who has been here longer than me who will be offered it next and then it’ll be my turn- so who knows I may be offered a TC a little earlier. I am just so unsure bc of all the uncertainty. I am also unsure if they will ask me to complete my LPC first before embarking on the TC. Please advise !!

Hi @Confused2729372

I think the first thing to do is check you are eligible to start an LPC. The SQE is the new route for qualifying and the LPC is being phased out meaning there has been a cut off date which will prevent people from starting the programme if they do not match the right criteria. If you are unable to study the LPC because of this cut off point, then you will be restricted to studying the SQE anyway. In terms of your situation with your firm, I think the best things is to speak to someone in the firm about it and your concerns. Likelihood is they can answer many of your concerns and give you conclusive advice rather than you speculating on what may be the case.

I hope this helps and good luck! 🙂
Original post by Confused2729372

Check out this article https://superexam.uk/sqe-llb-and-gdl-grads/
You are one of the last cohorts to be allowed to do the LPC. Sept 2024 is the very last year BPP for example (which educates most City firm trainees) will offer the LPC. Find out if there are still LPC courses left starting Sept such as with BPP that allow it 2 y ears part time and I would do the LPC. You can use your paralegal work as time to count to knock I think 6 months of the 2 year TC OR I think there is an LPC "equivalent means" route that might cut it down even more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending