The Student Room Group

AS Level Chemistry for CompSci in Uni

I'm in Y11 currently, and my chosen options for A levels are Maths, Physics, and Computer Science. I heard some universities require 2 sciences to take computer science in uni, so should I take AS level Chemistry? Because I'm not willing to take Chem for 2 whole years, but 1 year seems bearable. I also heard some unis require 4 AS/A levels, so you must take 3 A levels and 1 AS, or 2 A levels and 2 AS, and so on. I'm not going to take exactly CS in uni, but rather something related such as Cybersecurity or SWE - I'm not sure yet but it will be something in tech. I also want to go to uni in Canada or the UK. Should I just stick to 3 A levels or take Chem as a 4th AS?
Reply 1
Original post by cl0ud5
I'm in Y11 currently, and my chosen options for A levels are Maths, Physics, and Computer Science. I heard some universities require 2 sciences to take computer science in uni, so should I take AS level Chemistry? Because I'm not willing to take Chem for 2 whole years, but 1 year seems bearable. I also heard some unis require 4 AS/A levels, so you must take 3 A levels and 1 AS, or 2 A levels and 2 AS, and so on. I'm not going to take exactly CS in uni, but rather something related such as Cybersecurity or SWE - I'm not sure yet but it will be something in tech. I also want to go to uni in Canada or the UK. Should I just stick to 3 A levels or take Chem as a 4th AS?

Maths, Physics and Computer Science are all sciences so no need for a further A level. Plus whoever has advised you that you need a 4th AS/A level has given you bad advice, 3 is sufficient for most universities.

The anomalies are Cambridge and Oxford who require you to have taken Further Maths if offered at your school. Some colleges also have it as a requirement regardless. Imperial have Further Maths as a recommended subject.

If you don't plan on applying to the above universities then just stick with the 3 A levels. I can't advise you on Canadian unis.
Reply 2
Original post by nutz99
Maths, Physics and Computer Science are all sciences so no need for a further A level. Plus whoever has advised you that you need a 4th AS/A level has given you bad advice, 3 is sufficient for most universities.
The anomalies are Cambridge and Oxford who require you to have taken Further Maths if offered at your school. Some colleges also have it as a requirement regardless. Imperial have Further Maths as a recommended subject.
If you don't plan on applying to the above universities then just stick with the 3 A levels. I can't advise you on Canadian unis.

I heard they don't accept CS as a science for some reason. Thank you for your reply though, I guess I'll just stick to 3 then. I don't plan on applying to a highly selective uni so I'll skip on further maths.
Reply 3
Original post by cl0ud5

Entirely up to you. As someone who is doing A level Chemistry, I would advise you not to waste your time with it as it's not really needed for CS and there is no link whatsoever to the course but as you say, the AS level is definitely bearable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending