The Student Room Group

Year Off from Illness and Special Support Loan

Hi!
I have some health problems and so I took an approved health related interruption of studies from my course for academic year 23-24.
I called up SFE when I was finalising my interruption (it was last minute so I already had a student finance application finished) and asked if I needed to do anything and the guy I spoke to said I should cancel my student loan application for this year, so I did.
When looking through some other stuff for special support recently, I saw that one of the criteria is “You are waiting to go back to a course after an illness or caring responsibility”.
Does that apply to me? I technically am just basically waiting til I can hopefully go back next year and it is due to illness. But special support is part of the maintenance loan and I don’t currently have an open maintenance loan so I am slightly confused about how I get this money.

If anyone has any insight into whether I would be eligible for this money and how I go about getting it I would be very grateful.
I’ve not been able to work other than a couple hours of freelance here and there and have had no student loan for almost a year so I am ✨so very poor✨. My uni’s start date is usually October 1st so if the 9 month rule applies I should be okay as long as I move fast

Thanks
Original post by immy_irl
Hi!
I have some health problems and so I took an approved health related interruption of studies from my course for academic year 23-24.
I called up SFE when I was finalising my interruption (it was last minute so I already had a student finance application finished) and asked if I needed to do anything and the guy I spoke to said I should cancel my student loan application for this year, so I did.
When looking through some other stuff for special support recently, I saw that one of the criteria is “You are waiting to go back to a course after an illness or caring responsibility”.
Does that apply to me? I technically am just basically waiting til I can hopefully go back next year and it is due to illness. But special support is part of the maintenance loan and I don’t currently have an open maintenance loan so I am slightly confused about how I get this money.
If anyone has any insight into whether I would be eligible for this money and how I go about getting it I would be very grateful.
I’ve not been able to work other than a couple hours of freelance here and there and have had no student loan for almost a year so I am ✨so very poor✨. My uni’s start date is usually October 1st so if the 9 month rule applies I should be okay as long as I move fast
Thanks

Hi there, not for the 23/24 academic year as you'd need to have an application and be in attendance to be assessed for any funding for that year. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, not for the 23/24 academic year as you'd need to have an application and be in attendance to be assessed for any funding for that year. Thanks, Jason

Hi, that does make sense, but then what is the point of the “waiting to go back to your course” criteria?
When would that apply?
Original post by immy_irl
Hi, that does make sense, but then what is the point of the “waiting to go back to your course” criteria?
When would that apply?

Hi there,

This is in relation to going back on your course you had suspended from that you were on and had application for. Do you have a disability or receive any benefits like PIP or DLA?

Thnaks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by claire sfe
Hi there,
This is in relation to going back on your course you had suspended from that you were on and had application for. Do you have a disability or receive any benefits like PIP or DLA?
Thnaks,
Claire

I am currently in the process of applying for PIP. So just to confirm, because my application was cancelled and I didn’t attend my course in 23-24 I can’t get anything from the SSL in 23/24?
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi immy_irl,

Yes, we wouldn't be able to make any payments for an academic year that you did not attend.

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply