The Student Room Group

Higher Spanish

How do I revise for this subject
Reply 1
Original post by Userrrr314

Hi, I do higher French so not quite the same, however what I find helps me is making sure I know how to recognise and use all the tenses so things like present, past, simple future, near future, conditional and imperfect. Also (at least in French), the subjunctive is very impressive to see at GCSE level, and the examiners will literally wet their pants if they see it, so if you can learn that and put some in your writing and it will impress your examiners/teachers a lot. In terms of how, I personally find that the best way (for me) to learn new vocab and tenses is to write sentences down containing them. This not only helps cement them in your mind, but you can practice using them in multiple different contexts which will help recognising them in the reading and listening lots too. Some people prefer flashcards; and yes they're great for learning a lot of things in a short space of time, but personally, if you don't have GCSEs this summer, then I would spend the time to practice words, phrases and tenses individually in context because it tends to stick in your long-term memory easier, whereas things learned from flashcards are generally forgotten within a few days for me.

Another thing that you can do is learn a few impressive structures/idioms off by heart that you can put into your writing. These have a lot of bang for their buck and can definitely boost your grades by a substantial amount if used correctly. Our French teacher never goes a lesson without stressing the importance of 'nous nous sommes bien amusé(e)s' (it translates to 'we had fun' in English and is really impressive to examiners because it's a reflexive verb put into the past tense in the 'we' form.) Idioms also boost your marks a lot because 'speaking idiomatically' (if done correctly) shows that you're comfortable with the language and can speak a bit like a native. (Just in case you don't know, idioms are things that don't have a literal translation to what you mean, so for example, I've heard my friends who do Spanish say 'lo passe bomba' a lot, which I'm pretty sure means 'to have a whale of a time'). Sorry if I've done too much waffling; I hope this has been helpful to you! Good luck revising! :smile:
Original post by Userrrr314

i used a website called memrise to revise like translations of words and such

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending