The Student Room Group

Help me is this ok in an exam

if you dont put a signature
if you mix ur surname and forename
if you write under the given lines or besides the lines
if you paraphrase an english lit quote
if your maths working out is not clear (as mine is all over the place)
Reply 1
Original post by mushypeas5678489

Lines:
If you mean like it's not on the given written lines just a few words/line off that's fine (or at least all my exams came back fine from it), but if you go outside of the border of the exam paper it will be cut off in the scan,

Paraphrasing - they won't take marks away, depends how many correct quotes you have. Also if you use like a really random quote the examiner may not know it off by heart. Try and get them right but sometimes you will forget a word or two just try and put it down how you think it was and analyse it well.

Maths working out try and make it easy for the examiner, but as long as you have it all down it should be fine.

Not sure for signature or the surname/forename. But you should have your candidate number that you put on your paper, so they should be able to identify it's yours. Still try not to mix these up. And signature says you didn't plagiarise anything. I don't think your paper would be discarded or anything but just be careful
Original post by study23!
Lines:
If you mean like it's not on the given written lines just a few words/line off that's fine (or at least all my exams came back fine from it), but if you go outside of the border of the exam paper it will be cut off in the scan,
Paraphrasing - they won't take marks away, depends how many correct quotes you have. Also if you use like a really random quote the examiner may not know it off by heart. Try and get them right but sometimes you will forget a word or two just try and put it down how you think it was and analyse it well.
Maths working out try and make it easy for the examiner, but as long as you have it all down it should be fine.
Not sure for signature or the surname/forename. But you should have your candidate number that you put on your paper, so they should be able to identify it's yours. Still try not to mix these up. And signature says you didn't plagiarise anything. I don't think your paper would be discarded or anything but just be careful

Thank You! i have my gcses in a couple of days and no teacher was giving me a direct answer so im grateful for this response
Reply 3
Original post by mushypeas5678489

honestly i have no memory of signing scripts, but it is very important - like signing a contract basically. if your school hasn't said anything to you about it, i think you should be okay? though i'm not sure. have signatures on all your future scripts! it can just be your name written out, doesn't need to be fancy.

i believe papers get checked by your schools exams office before being sent to the board to make sure things like your centre number and candidate number are correct - they should have fixed your name problem, but either way its the candidate + centre numbers that are the most important for identifying your scripts as you - don't stress!

if you write outside the box where it says "do not write here", whatever you wrote won't be seen by the marker - those sections don't get scanned in to be marked, only the inside box. as long as all your writing is inside that box, it will all be markable by the examiner.

paraphrasing quotes isn't the end of the world, as long as you know the gist! getting across the 'vibe' of the quote - e.g. changing tenses and stuff is fine and you won't be penalised. technically, i don't think you actually need quotes in gcse lit (aqa at least), so not the end of the world if they're a bit wrong - but it's impossible to do well without quotes so keep that in mind

if you feel like your maths working out is unclear, circle the different sections and then number them so the marker can see the sequence of your work. its better to have some semblance of organisation though - the examiners aren't being paid very much per script so aren't going to be putting in lots of effort to figure out the order. as long as you have the different specific bits of working out thats on the mark scheme, in theory it should be fine (so long as the examiner can read it!)
Reply 4
Original post by alecks
honestly i have no memory of signing scripts, but it is very important - like signing a contract basically. if your school hasn't said anything to you about it, i think you should be okay? though i'm not sure. have signatures on all your future scripts! it can just be your name written out, doesn't need to be fancy.
i believe papers get checked by your schools exams office before being sent to the board to make sure things like your centre number and candidate number are correct - they should have fixed your name problem, but either way its the candidate + centre numbers that are the most important for identifying your scripts as you - don't stress!
if you write outside the box where it says "do not write here", whatever you wrote won't be seen by the marker - those sections don't get scanned in to be marked, only the inside box. as long as all your writing is inside that box, it will all be markable by the examiner.
paraphrasing quotes isn't the end of the world, as long as you know the gist! getting across the 'vibe' of the quote - e.g. changing tenses and stuff is fine and you won't be penalised. technically, i don't think you actually need quotes in gcse lit (aqa at least), so not the end of the world if they're a bit wrong - but it's impossible to do well without quotes so keep that in mind
if you feel like your maths working out is unclear, circle the different sections and then number them so the marker can see the sequence of your work. its better to have some semblance of organisation though - the examiners aren't being paid very much per script so aren't going to be putting in lots of effort to figure out the order. as long as you have the different specific bits of working out thats on the mark scheme, in theory it should be fine (so long as the examiner can read it!)

Agree with everything you said, but I want to clarify that you do need quotes for AQA, or you do if you want to do well at least

Quick Reply