The Student Room Group

Volunteering in gap year: what are my options?

I am thinking about doing a last minute gap year after not getting accepted to the unis I was hoping… I’ve always been interested in doing something like the Peace Corps (obviously unviable as American and requires a degree..) but does anyone know of anything like this for someone from the UK? I have no experience in any specific sector and have done limited previous volunteer work… I am planning on studying sociology btw

From the research I’ve done it seems pretty hard to get anything that doesn’t require a lot of experience/a degree or a lot of money. I can’t really afford to pay for this but similarly I don’t need to be paid - just want a roof. Also, don’t want to be in danger (I’m a woman) but don’t need pampering.

Just thought I’d post here in case I’m missing anything good!
Original post by Hah122
I am thinking about doing a last minute gap year after not getting accepted to the unis I was hoping… I’ve always been interested in doing something like the Peace Corps (obviously unviable as American and requires a degree..) but does anyone know of anything like this for someone from the UK? I have no experience in any specific sector and have done limited previous volunteer work… I am planning on studying sociology btw

From the research I’ve done it seems pretty hard to get anything that doesn’t require a lot of experience/a degree or a lot of money. I can’t really afford to pay for this but similarly I don’t need to be paid - just want a roof. Also, don’t want to be in danger (I’m a woman) but don’t need pampering.

Just thought I’d post here in case I’m missing anything good!

If you want roof and boarding in exchange for volunteering, check out https://wwoof.net/ :smile:
There are lots of free/low cost opportunities but it really depends on what you want to do / where you want to go. You can search volunteering programs abroad here but there are tons of sites/Google where you might be able to narrow down your search.

Quick Reply

Latest