The Student Room Group

revision

hiiiiii! so this is probably a common topic that everyone talks about but how do i revise 🥲 (im in y11 studying for gcses)
the subjects i have exams in coming up are: biology, chemistry, physics (treble), geography, spanish, maths, english lit, english lang

so i have the cgp revision guides for biology chemistry and physics and i have been creating A3 posters on the content - one poster every couple of pages. but i am starting to realise i dont think this is very effective as im basically just copying from the textbook?

i have done topic 1 biology and half of topic 2 and i have to do 2 or 3 more topics before friday! (im so scared) i dont feel like ive done anything or anything has stuck in my head and im ngl i am pretty close to a meltdown.

what are some of the most effective ways i can revise the rest of biology? i have done some research and found that active recall and repetition is the best method, but how do i start them? do i need to make flashcards? can i use some flashcards ive already got or do i need to make more?

i also have barely done any of my other subjects so if you could give me some ideas on how to revise them i would be so grateful!!! (especially english lit and geography)

the main reason i thought posters would work is i think im a visual learner because whenever i get asked for a question i always to try picture where ive seen in written down, how can i use this to my advantage?

thank you so much for any suggestions ❤️
Im doing my gcses soon as well and I think i also learns more easily by pictures too. What I like to do is watch videos, especially cognito for sciences. Theres also a flashcard thing called anki that does spaced repetition. And examples of active recall would be doing past paper questions, doing flashcards, writing out everyting you remember about a topic on a piece of paper and then filling in the gaps.

I’m not really sure about geography since I don’t do it. For english lit i guess its just make mindmaps of like themes and write example grade 9 essays and memorise them. For maths, just do lotsssss of questions and watch mathsgenie videos for help.

I hope this helps you in some way!
Good luck in your gcses :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous7070
Im doing my gcses soon as well and I think i also learns more easily by pictures too. What I like to do is watch videos, especially cognito for sciences. Theres also a flashcard thing called anki that does spaced repetition. And examples of active recall would be doing past paper questions, doing flashcards, writing out everyting you remember about a topic on a piece of paper and then filling in the gaps.
I’m not really sure about geography since I don’t do it. For english lit i guess its just make mindmaps of like themes and write example grade 9 essays and memorise them. For maths, just do lotsssss of questions and watch mathsgenie videos for help.
I hope this helps you in some way!
Good luck in your gcses :smile:

ahh thank you so much! yes this definitely helped :smile:
good luck in your gcses ! 🥰
Reply 3
Original post by annabelle16
hiiiiii! so this is probably a common topic that everyone talks about but how do i revise 🥲 (im in y11 studying for gcses)
the subjects i have exams in coming up are: biology, chemistry, physics (treble), geography, spanish, maths, english lit, english lang
so i have the cgp revision guides for biology chemistry and physics and i have been creating A3 posters on the content - one poster every couple of pages. but i am starting to realise i dont think this is very effective as im basically just copying from the textbook?
i have done topic 1 biology and half of topic 2 and i have to do 2 or 3 more topics before friday! (im so scared) i dont feel like ive done anything or anything has stuck in my head and im ngl i am pretty close to a meltdown.
what are some of the most effective ways i can revise the rest of biology? i have done some research and found that active recall and repetition is the best method, but how do i start them? do i need to make flashcards? can i use some flashcards ive already got or do i need to make more?
i also have barely done any of my other subjects so if you could give me some ideas on how to revise them i would be so grateful!!! (especially english lit and geography)
the main reason i thought posters would work is i think im a visual learner because whenever i get asked for a question i always to try picture where ive seen in written down, how can i use this to my advantage?
thank you so much for any suggestions ❤️

Hi! French nerd here!! (Yes I know it's not the same language, but the marking for both languages are pretty much identical haha) For your Spanish, I'd make sure that you're comfortable recognising and using all sorts of different tenses. This will help so so so much for your speaking, listening, reading AND writing. I find that examiners lay so many traps that can be so easily avoided by knowing your tenses well. What I'd recommend to do this is to have a conjugation table for the particular tense that you want to learn, and just write tons and tons of sentences using it. This helps a lot to recognise it, but also to use it. One of the main things examiners look out for in writing is a range of tenses..

Another thing you can do is memorise a few set phrases and/or idioms. I'd recommend using flash cards for these, but you NEED to make sure they're perfect, otherwise it can backfire, since grammatical accuracy is one of the main assessment objectives. Just some general advice for your writing too: it's better to write something you DO know rather than try and write something fancy and get it wrong. Also, try and include AT LEAST 5 verbs in every bullet point / paragraph you write.

In English Lit, if you're doing AQA, I'd try and learn about the context of whatever you're going to write about, and thread it into your essays. Examiners literally wet their pants when you include context ahaha. I made sure to learn lots of context and managed to get 30/30 on Power and Conflict and an overall 8!

It's not too late; with some hard work you'll be fine! Hope I've helped :smile:

Quick Reply