The Student Room Group

How do UMS marks work for chemistry A level wjec?

I’m doing chemistry wjec and aiming for an A in it. I know that for an A* you have to average 90% on the A2 papers. But I’m wondering, for an A would you need to average a certain amount in the A2 exams? Or can I just total 400 UMS across all five units and still get an A? I’m looking to pick up 40 ums in my Unit 5, 85 ums in my unit 4, 85 ums in my unit 3, 100 ums in my unit 2 resit and 100 ums in my unit 1. This totals 410 ums but not an average across every exam. Would this still get me an A? Any help would be appreciated😁
Original post by rv23
I’m doing chemistry wjec and aiming for an A in it. I know that for an A* you have to average 90% on the A2 papers. But I’m wondering, for an A would you need to average a certain amount in the A2 exams? Or can I just total 400 UMS across all five units and still get an A? I’m looking to pick up 40 ums in my Unit 5, 85 ums in my unit 4, 85 ums in my unit 3, 100 ums in my unit 2 resit and 100 ums in my unit 1. This totals 410 ums but not an average across every exam. Would this still get me an A? Any help would be appreciated😁

Yes, I think it would get you an A. But I think it's better if you see for yourself here: https://www.wjec.co.uk/media/emjlho02/guide-to-results-as-a-level-2022-wjec.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by rv23

Wait is it 90% UMS?
Original post by qs123
Wait is it 90% UMS?

i don't do chem but i recently spent absolutely ages researching WJEC raw marks, it's 90% UMS for all subjects but in terms of exam scores that doesn't really mean anything.
to find the actual raw mark boundaries u need to use this website, and click 'GCE June'. A* grade boundaries aren't on there but im pretty sure for chem an A was something like 45-55%:https://services.portal.wjec.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx

2019 roughly speaking it was 80 UMS for an A. i'm pretty sure based of GCSE they just add up all the marks to find a score (i.e. out of 400) and so you should definitely get an A, presumably an A*. it also helps that A2 is weighted 60% whereas AS is weighted 40%
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending