The Student Room Group

working during university

Next year I will be starting university out of my city and hope to work part time in order to make ends meet. ill be studying in Birmingham, I have heard of a few people working during the uni terms and then returning home during holidays those who don't live in Birmingham (something called a uni contract I think), but I don't know anyone personally who has a uni contract job. if anyone has had jobs during the uni term and went back home during holidays I would appreciate it so much if you could tell me how you found such flexible jobs??
Original post by Anonymous
Next year I will be starting university out of my city and hope to work part time in order to make ends meet. ill be studying in Birmingham, I have heard of a few people working during the uni terms and then returning home during holidays those who don't live in Birmingham (something called a uni contract I think), but I don't know anyone personally who has a uni contract job. if anyone has had jobs during the uni term and went back home during holidays I would appreciate it so much if you could tell me how you found such flexible jobs??

Hi,

There are lots of flexible jobs you could consider applying for at university. Firstly becoming a student ambassador is a great opportunity as working for the university they understand you have other commitments and you can usually apply for the shifts you are available for.

Being a nanny is also a popular job for students as it is usually just term time hours, so then you will be free during the school holidays and able to return home.

When it comes to finding a job that you can work both at university and at home I would say the best option is working for big companies and chains that have a branch both in your uni city and hometown. Good examples of this that I have seen from my friends are Weatherspoon's, Next and Tesco. So maybe looking for similar companies that will allow you transfer to a branch in your hometown over Christmas and summer would be worth looking into.

Hope this helps :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)
Hi,

The jobs you are referring to are zero-hour contract. There are many zero-hour jobs on campus either working for the Student Union or working for the university as a student ambassador. Also, fast food chains such as Burger King or McDonalds tend to do zero-hour contracts.

Best Wishes,
Gulcin
University of Southampton
Original post by Anonymous

Hi these,

As other have said, working for a big chain is a good idea if you want to be able to return home and work during the holidays as they often let you transfer between branches - one of my friends works for Tesco in our uni city and they transfer in each holidays so that they can go back home and work there which works well for them. Supermarkets are good for doing this but it depends on each one if they will let you do this so it's worth applying and then discussing this at the interview.

Another good job is working for the university. I am a student ambassador which I have found to be a great job as it is very flexible and you can choose when to work and how much to work. There are usually shifts sent out which you just reply to if you can do and there is no commitment to do a certain amount if you cannot do it. This also means you are free to go home in the holidays as you don't have a commitment to working in your uni city. I've also found the job to be good as they always want you to put your uni work first so they would never expect or want you to miss uni to work which is good. Any other campus job would be good too and likely the same level of commitment so it is worth having a look online at this to see if any jobs are available.

Any other zero hour contract job would be the same idea too so if you didn't want to work for the uni, you could look into getting a zero hour contract job elsewhere as this would give you the same level of flexibility.

The problem with a campus job or zero hour is that you aren't guaranteed a certain amount of hours and you won't get paid if you are at home for the holidays so it depends how much you want/need to work and if you want to work throughout the holidays, it might be worth getting a job where you can transfer.

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending