The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel History: PLEASE HELP - How do I cram??

Hi!! All of you have probably heard this exact same story multiple times here :cry:

I'm in Year 11, and due to a multitude of reasons (Mainly not being bothered), I have put off my History revision for not days, nor weeks, nor months, but YEARS. I have my first exam for History on Wednesday the 15th (before half term), and 2 after half term. Due to my History teacher being quite frankly one of the most boring people I have ever met, I never paid attention in her lessons apart from mildly in the Crime and Punishment topic. I managed to scrape an 8 in our mocks (just on Crime and Punishment) due to getting VERY lucky with the questions. However, I've barely retained any of this information and have NONE on any of the other topics.

HOW DO I CRAM A BAJILLION DATES INSIDE MY HEAD???

My brain is more of a rules and logic focused one, so memorising dates and facts does NOT come naturally to me. I need serious help on some cramming techniques because I genuinely think that at this rate I'm not even going to get a 5 in History.

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!!!
Reply 1
Flashcards, flashcards, blurting, blurting, more flashcards, and then a bit more blurting. Just keep on using active recall techniques and that might help them stick
Reply 2
Original post by pjf1215
Flashcards, flashcards, blurting, blurting, more flashcards, and then a bit more blurting. Just keep on using active recall techniques and that might help them stick

What's blurting? Is that the technique where you just write down everything you know about something?
Original post by xAspect
What's blurting? Is that the technique where you just write down everything you know about something?

yeah. make sure to go over it, and in another colour, write things you miss or got wrong. Then do it again later and see if you remember the things you got wrong
Reply 4
Original post by iamstillme
yeah. make sure to go over it, and in another colour, write things you miss or got wrong. Then do it again later and see if you remember the things you got wrong

Great, thank you so much! 🙂
Hoping I can get a 6 or maybe scrape a 7 with this method!
Original post by xAspect
Hi!! All of you have probably heard this exact same story multiple times here :cry:
I'm in Year 11, and due to a multitude of reasons (Mainly not being bothered), I have put off my History revision for not days, nor weeks, nor months, but YEARS. I have my first exam for History on Wednesday the 15th (before half term), and 2 after half term. Due to my History teacher being quite frankly one of the most boring people I have ever met, I never paid attention in her lessons apart from mildly in the Crime and Punishment topic. I managed to scrape an 8 in our mocks (just on Crime and Punishment) due to getting VERY lucky with the questions. However, I've barely retained any of this information and have NONE on any of the other topics.
HOW DO I CRAM A BAJILLION DATES INSIDE MY HEAD???
My brain is more of a rules and logic focused one, so memorising dates and facts does NOT come naturally to me. I need serious help on some cramming techniques because I genuinely think that at this rate I'm not even going to get a 5 in History.
Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!!!

All you have to do is keep revising and retain that information. Get someone to ask you questions you can answer, which can help you with knowing how much information you can recall. Whatever the case, don't panic, just relax and work as hard as you want to. Don't let pressure get to you!
Reply 6
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
All you have to do is keep revising and retain that information. Get someone to ask you questions you can answer, which can help you with knowing how much information you can recall. Whatever the case, don't panic, just relax and work as hard as you want to. Don't let pressure get to you!

Retaining information is the hard part 😫 Honestly it goes in one ear and out the other 😭

I'm finding it a bit hard to relax... I have like 3 years of content to cover in not even 3 weeks... and 10 other GCSEs on top of that too. Plus I'm hoping to get into OxBridge, so anything below a 7 at the least is going to make it extremely difficult for me (especially because I go to a grammar school too) in the future because I'll most likely have to balance it by getting 3 A*s. Any tips for managing stress?
Original post by xAspect
Retaining information is the hard part 😫 Honestly it goes in one ear and out the other 😭
I'm finding it a bit hard to relax... I have like 3 years of content to cover in not even 3 weeks... and 10 other GCSEs on top of that too. Plus I'm hoping to get into OxBridge, so anything below a 7 at the least is going to make it extremely difficult for me (especially because I go to a grammar school too) in the future because I'll most likely have to balance it by getting 3 A*s. Any tips for managing stress?

Lowering your expectations might do some good for you. I know you want to get into a certain university, but try not to have a one-track mind about your educational life. If you don't have high expectations then the disappointment won't bite you so hard. I encourage you to pursue multiple avenues so that you can get what you want through various channels.

As for stress, I think it might be an idea to tense all the muscles in your body and hold it for 5 seconds and then release. Also get out into nature and enjoy the beauty of the world around you, that should really help your mind and make you feel more connected. Also get exercise when you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending