The Student Room Group

analysis for o full of scorpions is my mind

i lost this great sheet my tutor gave me and i can't find it ANYWHERE ugh but if anyone has like top top level analysis for the quote that would be great
OH YES.
Link it to how Lady Macbeth says 'that I may pour my spirits in thine ear'- it is an image of regicide from Hamlet wherein King Hamlet is killed by poison being poured in his ear. This means that 'spirits' have a double meaning, being Lady Macbeth's words as well as poison. This poison is present in the quotation 'full of scorpions is my mind dear wife', since of course, scorpions secrete poison- poison in his mind like the poison through the ear of King Hamlet. Symbolises how LM's words lead to his downfall as well as her lasting influence over him throughout the play.

CONSIDER IT ANALYSED MY FRIEND.

I would kill for this to be in the extract
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Advice from someone who achieved a 9 in English Lit last year:
When analysing, you want to have three parts to your analysis.
1.) Your actual interpretation
This is up to you, but here are some interpretations you could use (bonus points if you use more than one):
-The idea of killing Duncan like a toxin, leads to his eventual death
-These thoughts are not his fault, he actively fears them, they were planted there by the witches (great links to the theme of free will here)
-Shows Macbeth's changing character throughout the plot; while his ambition plagues him here, he embraces it in the final acts
-His ambition is consuming him, unable to think of anything else (like consequences)

2.) Link this to the theme/character in the essay question, as well as a wider theme (briefly).
This will depend on the interpretation(s) you choose to discuss as well as your essay question, but linking even briefly to a wider theme is a great way to score extra marks. The examiners love to see wider analysis, and that you can think beyond the points taught in class. For the scorpions quote, you'd want to make links to ambition, the concept of evil, death, the supernatural, or free will/fate.

3.) Discuss how this relates to Shakespeare's overall message.
It's been a year since I've done my GCSEs and I'm doing STEM A-Levels so I really cannot remember much of the Shakespearean context ๐Ÿ˜ญ but you want to link to as much context as possible, and explain why Shakespeare would have used this particular quote/literary device/lexical choice.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, name the literary device you're discussing!!!!! Whether you're talking about the use of metaphor, or foreshadowing, use the words 'metaphor' or 'foreshadowing'. I knew someone who wrote what was practically a Grade 9 essay but got a Grade 5 because they forgot to state the names of the literary devices/word classes.

I know this didn't exactly give an exact analysis/answer, but I did my best from what I could remember ๐Ÿ™‚ if you want any more detail/info, feel free to reply back and I'll try to reach the dusty corners of my GCSE memory.
Hope this helps!
Original post by Lily__S
Advice from someone who achieved a 9 in English Lit last year:
When analysing, you want to have three parts to your analysis.
1.) Your actual interpretation
This is up to you, but here are some interpretations you could use (bonus points if you use more than one):
-The idea of killing Duncan like a toxin, leads to his eventual death
-These thoughts are not his fault, he actively fears them, they were planted there by the witches (great links to the theme of free will here)
-Shows Macbeth's changing character throughout the plot; while his ambition plagues him here, he embraces it in the final acts
-His ambition is consuming him, unable to think of anything else (like consequences)
2.) Link this to the theme/character in the essay question, as well as a wider theme (briefly).
This will depend on the interpretation(s) you choose to discuss as well as your essay question, but linking even briefly to a wider theme is a great way to score extra marks. The examiners love to see wider analysis, and that you can think beyond the points taught in class. For the scorpions quote, you'd want to make links to ambition, the concept of evil, death, the supernatural, or free will/fate.
3.) Discuss how this relates to Shakespeare's overall message.
It's been a year since I've done my GCSEs and I'm doing STEM A-Levels so I really cannot remember much of the Shakespearean context ๐Ÿ˜ญ but you want to link to as much context as possible, and explain why Shakespeare would have used this particular quote/literary device/lexical choice.
Also, and I cannot stress this enough, name the literary device you're discussing!!!!! Whether you're talking about the use of metaphor, or foreshadowing, use the words 'metaphor' or 'foreshadowing'. I knew someone who wrote what was practically a Grade 9 essay but got a Grade 5 because they forgot to state the names of the literary devices/word classes.
I know this didn't exactly give an exact analysis/answer, but I did my best from what I could remember ๐Ÿ™‚ if you want any more detail/info, feel free to reply back and I'll try to reach the dusty corners of my GCSE memory.
Hope this helps!

Ahh this is SO helpful!! Thnk you so much! do you know where I can find model answers for literature questions?
Reply 4
Original post by doughnutsareslay
Ahh this is SO helpful!! Thnk you so much! do you know where I can find model answers for literature questions?

https://www.savemyexams.com/gcse/english-literature/aqa/17/revision-notes/1-shakespeare/how-to-answer-the-shakespeare-essay-question/model-answers/

Doesn't include the scorpions quote, but this breaks a model answer down nicely ๐Ÿ™‚

Ahh thank you so much!!
Original post by doughnutsareslay
i lost this great sheet my tutor gave me and i can't find it ANYWHERE ugh but if anyone has like top top level analysis for the quote that would be great

What do scorpions have?
pincers.
What are pincers?
sharp.
What else is sharp?
daggers.
So?
Macbeth's mind is a swirl of daggers and corruption by violence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending