The Student Room Group

Dentistry enquires help

Hi all,
so ive been wondering if i can apply to dentistry with these gcse grades that I got
5-in english language
-9 in english lit
I went through extenuating circumstances during my gcses, my predicted were higher than these results, but I am wondering if getting top A-level grades and UCAT score will alleivate this
Reply 1
Original post by SGojo17
Hi all,
so ive been wondering if i can apply to dentistry with these gcse grades that I got
5-in english language
-9 in english lit
I went through extenuating circumstances during my gcses, my predicted were higher than these results, but I am wondering if getting top A-level grades and UCAT score will alleivate this

Yeah, you’ll qualify for several dental schools with those GCSE results x
Reply 2
Original post by raya2003
Yeah, you’ll qualify for several dental schools with those GCSE results x

are you a dental applicant as well?
Reply 3
i'd say visit the dental school pages and have a look at their entry requirements. some schools also lower grade requirements for people who have EC's so check if you're eligible for those too
Reply 4
Original post by SGojo17
Hi all,
5-in english language
-9 in english lit

Hi,

If you're eligible for widening access, make sure you apply to all the widening access summer schools as they'll give a guaranteed interview if you've completed some of the summers schools like NASS Birmingham, or insight into Bristol. Hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by SGojo17
Hi all,
5-in english language
-9 in english lit

I would look at the list of dental schools and check their requirements especially as some want 6 at least in English lang. I know that Cardiff have a points system and give more points for GCSEs as a part of the selection process. so look at the list and then you could check the websites for extra info or call up the uni and explain your circumstances.
Reply 6
Original post by qs123
Hi,
If you're eligible for widening access, make sure you apply to all the widening access summer schools as they'll give a guaranteed interview if you've completed some of the summers schools like NASS Birmingham, or insight into Bristol. Hope this helps

Hello,
thanks for the reply,
I do kplus at kings, which is widening participation, I dont know I have been having alot of doubts because every aspiring dentist or dental applicant has at least 5 A*s or 8s and 9s. it puts me off
so with my extenuating circumstances, I did my gcses whilst living in a hotel room, so that heck of a difficulty and my progress dropped down by 60 percent. i was a 8s and 9s student but i dropped down to a 6s and 7s student.

so yeah.
Reply 7
Original post by SGojo17
Hello,
thanks for the reply,
I do kplus at kings, which is widening participation, I dont know I have been having alot of doubts because every aspiring dentist or dental applicant has at least 5 A*s or 8s and 9s. it puts me off
so with my extenuating circumstances, I did my gcses whilst living in a hotel room, so that heck of a difficulty and my progress dropped down by 60 percent. i was a 8s and 9s student but i dropped down to a 6s and 7s student.
so yeah.

Some unis don’t even use GCSEs to make their decision as long as you meet the GCSE requirements (which in your case you would) kings is extremelyyyyyy competitive and they do focus more on GCSEs. There are plenty of unis with minimal focus on GCSEs- focusing instead on the UCAT for example. Check the uni entry requirements and the admissions statements (where they outline how they make their decision). For example the university of Plymouth and Bristol both see that you meet the GCSE and A level requirements and move you forward to the next stage which is ranking you on your UCAT performance (so a student with all 9s will not have an advantage over you at all!). Basically just make sure to apply to a uni that suits your strengths as an applicant. If you get a high UCAT that could be Plymouth and Bristol.
Reply 8
Original post by SGojo17
Hello,
thanks for the reply,
so yeah.

Check if K+ is one of the programmes that gives you a contextual offer/guaranteed interview, if they are then that definitely puts you at somewhat an advantage. Honestly, research which unis don't really care about GCSEs, focus on your A-levels and definitely the UCAT as the UCAT is very very key in unis like Bristol and Birmingham. Also, sorry to hear about your difficult time during GCSEs, you definitely have a shot. Worst case, if you get rejected take a gap year, maybe do dentistry abroad if that's an option. Unis will take into consideration your circumstances just make sure your teachers mention it in your references. Also, some people dropped grades due to COVID inflation so I'm sure unis would understand. Good luck!

Quick Reply