The Student Room Group

Accepting one trajectory in life

This post is me getting these thoughts off my chest.

Trying to find the right path in life is something that has weighed on me probably since school started pushing decisions into choosing subjects. I have never been one to know what I want immediately nor do I have a deep passion for anything. A lot of people would agree this is normal and plenty of 17-18yrs old feel lost as well in choosing careers.

Despite taking a gap yr, I still feel lost. I've reflected a lot into how some people never go to uni, work retail for 40yrs+ and are satisfied. However, for me, I feel like I'm 'too aware', and this kind of thing would make me feel unfulfilled. So when I look at options to take, I am affected by factors like prestige and wealth, and most probably because I come from a poorer background that I feel I need to make up.

However, even looking at 1 option that may tick all boxes leaves me feeling like I'm signing away my life even though thats not true because people do career changes, take gaps and well, life happens because you could be made redundant or something.

Even though life is not a race, I have a lot of fomo, fear of regret, and the feeling that I should get to a position at a young age. Like right now, I have applied for uni, for a degree that will lead me to an ideal life yet I cant help but look at apprenticeships because it will mean being 4 years ahead financially, in independence and career. Going to uni is letting go of this opportunity.

And another thing I find mad is how many ways our lives could look because of a choice you make - so many skills you learn as a child that you couldve chosen to further, a subject maybe you were barred from simply because your school didnt do it. And now, I'll be making a decision determining the next 4 yrs which could shape me so differently. its scary.

So i suppose i want to ask others, how on earth do you settle for one thing, with that thing being normalcy? I feel like the only way id ever not feel regret is if I were a millionaire or something because I know opportunities are at my fingertips.

I know I cant control life in certain ways but I think because I can see how life can be lived at its highest, I find it hard living below those expectations as selfish as it sounds and I think ab what ifs? a lot because I feel like at this age is where so many paths can lead from.

I know I'll probably end up ok whatever I do now as long as I do something and although Ive focused on careers here, I know theres more to life. Id be working to live, not living to work.
Original post by Anonymous
This post is me getting these thoughts off my chest.
Trying to find the right path in life is something that has weighed on me probably since school started pushing decisions into choosing subjects. I have never been one to know what I want immediately nor do I have a deep passion for anything. A lot of people would agree this is normal and plenty of 17-18yrs old feel lost as well in choosing careers.
Despite taking a gap yr, I still feel lost. I've reflected a lot into how some people never go to uni, work retail for 40yrs+ and are satisfied. However, for me, I feel like I'm 'too aware', and this kind of thing would make me feel unfulfilled. So when I look at options to take, I am affected by factors like prestige and wealth, and most probably because I come from a poorer background that I feel I need to make up.
However, even looking at 1 option that may tick all boxes leaves me feeling like I'm signing away my life even though thats not true because people do career changes, take gaps and well, life happens because you could be made redundant or something.
Even though life is not a race, I have a lot of fomo, fear of regret, and the feeling that I should get to a position at a young age. Like right now, I have applied for uni, for a degree that will lead me to an ideal life yet I cant help but look at apprenticeships because it will mean being 4 years ahead financially, in independence and career. Going to uni is letting go of this opportunity.
And another thing I find mad is how many ways our lives could look because of a choice you make - so many skills you learn as a child that you couldve chosen to further, a subject maybe you were barred from simply because your school didnt do it. And now, I'll be making a decision determining the next 4 yrs which could shape me so differently. its scary.
So i suppose i want to ask others, how on earth do you settle for one thing, with that thing being normalcy? I feel like the only way id ever not feel regret is if I were a millionaire or something because I know opportunities are at my fingertips.
I know I cant control life in certain ways but I think because I can see how life can be lived at its highest, I find it hard living below those expectations as selfish as it sounds and I think ab what ifs? a lot because I feel like at this age is where so many paths can lead from.
I know I'll probably end up ok whatever I do now as long as I do something and although Ive focused on careers here, I know theres more to life. Id be working to live, not living to work.

You don't, you pick the thing that seems best of you in the here and now. Very few people have a career for life nowadays, people change careers two or three times in life. But you simply have to start somewhere. To do anything else is to be like a sportsperson who refuses to start jogging because they can't guarantee they will be en olympic 100m runner. If they don't start jogging, they will never find out whether they are a 100m runner or a steeplechaser.

Pick something, learn it, enjoy it and maybe take it in a different direction in your 30s, then again in your 40s, and then again in your 50s. It's all perfectly doable.

Quick Reply