The Student Room Group

Macbeth essay

I'm aiming for a grade 9 in English Lit - I'm currently working at a mid 8. I wanted to analyse the quote about Tarquin from Macbeth, and wanted to include the context about him and Lucretia, and Shakespeare's poem about it (not sure I can type the name on here, but google it if you need more context). However, I don't know how to word this in an essay, to make it appropriate for GCSE, or whether to include it at all.

It is the same for An Inspector Calls, and Geralds/Erics actions towards Eva/Daisy.

Can anyone help me on how to word this, or whether to include it at all? I just thought it was high-level mature context, that might set my essay apart from the rest.
Original post by elephant_5151
I'm aiming for a grade 9 in English Lit - I'm currently working at a mid 8. I wanted to analyse the quote about Tarquin from Macbeth, and wanted to include the context about him and Lucretia, and Shakespeare's poem about it (not sure I can type the name on here, but google it if you need more context). However, I don't know how to word this in an essay, to make it appropriate for GCSE, or whether to include it at all.
It is the same for An Inspector Calls, and Geralds/Erics actions towards Eva/Daisy.
Can anyone help me on how to word this, or whether to include it at all? I just thought it was high-level mature context, that might set my essay apart from the rest.

I cant remember the context for it but I just wanted to say in order to reach grade 9, ensure you have tentative language in your essay, e.g: could, may, might etc as this shows a nuanced approach, use words like evidently, clearly to show that you are confident in your points , use alternative points, as this shows perceptiveness and nuanced approach,e.g: your making a point about a quote and zooming in on a feature, you could then say alternatively (and give another interpretation using another feature in the quote) and mention other perspectives for similar reasons, so like, Some people might say "state common view etc" but/ however "the evidence here-say what it is" suggests "different, more original view." Also make sure to learn some structural devices , as students often forget that AO2 includes them and not just language devices, a more higher level student will refer to structure often. Another thing to keep in mind is to refer to patterns within the text , through literary devices ettc, e.g: motif of chains throughout the collection highlights, as this will show the examiner that you know the text very well and refer to features specific to form of text to, like if it is a play,you can discuss stage directions etc. It will take some practice to be able to do all of these things well, take a look at exemplar essays and you will be able to see those with the highest marks have all of these things. Hopefully these tips will help you cross over into a 9 from an 8. I would also suggest taking a look at some of Mr Salles videos on both of the texts you mentioned, he does have some higher level ideas etc mentioned and also perhaps, be carfeul about this though and dont go to overboard with it, you could take a look at some A-level resources etc about Macbeth to get higher level context...I dont think an Inspector Calls gets studied at that level. Another tip I learnt later on is, lift things (use basically) you like from exemplar essays, phrases, context etc.Good Luck! (I used these things myself to get that grade,I was in a similar posiiton to you and I did those texts)
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending