The Student Room Group

21 no job

I've struggled with social anxiety all my life so having a job where you would to work with people and for people felt like dread to me. However as I've grown up I realised the importance of work experience and having a career. I always apply for jobs but I keep getting rejected. There was one job where I was accepted for an interview which I went to, but I didn't get the job. I'm now in my final year of uni and I promised my parents that I want to get a job as soon as I finished. They have been supporting me the most as they don't want me to become a bum that sits at home all day. They have been lecturing me about the same thing for the past 6 years and they are just as tired as talking about it, as I am hearing it. I don't want to keep on disappointing them and myself. I feel like it keeps getting worse as I'm getting older. I still have social anxiety but I don't want to let it get to my head because it has stopped me from gaining good opportunities. What should i do?
Reply 1
Original post by shinya_kogami
I've struggled with social anxiety all my life so having a job where you would to work with people and for people felt like dread to me. However as I've grown up I realised the importance of work experience and having a career. I always apply for jobs but I keep getting rejected. There was one job where I was accepted for an interview which I went to, but I didn't get the job. I'm now in my final year of uni and I promised my parents that I want to get a job as soon as I finished. They have been supporting me the most as they don't want me to become a bum that sits at home all day. They have been lecturing me about the same thing for the past 6 years and they are just as tired as talking about it, as I am hearing it. I don't want to keep on disappointing them and myself. I feel like it keeps getting worse as I'm getting older. I still have social anxiety but I don't want to let it get to my head because it has stopped me from gaining good opportunities. What should i do?

Apply for some volunteering. Something as simple as a charity shop. You'll gain experience for your CV and will have something to do. It'll be less strict than a regular job and might make help reduce your anxiety about work. Keep applying for jobs though.
(edited 2 months ago)
Start a business, its simple and more profitable, and also a lot more relaxing if you could devolop it.
Reply 3
Have you got help with writing your CV.The uni should have this service available.A lot of jobs like CV's written in a certain way and discard those that are not in that format.Also think volunteering would be a good idea.
But at the moment you should be focused on your final exams.Job hunting can wait for now.
No I haven’t got much help for my CV, but I will definitely look into volunteering roles.
Original post by 048243
Apply for some volunteering. Something as simple as a charity shop. You'll gain experience for your CV and will have something to do. It'll be less strict than a regular job and might make help reduce your anxiety about work. Keep applying for jobs though.

Alright I’ll look into volunteering thanks

Quick Reply