The Student Room Group

art confusion

should i choose illustration or graphic design? i’ve got an unconditional offer for graphic design. i love them both and i know they both integrate so im not sure what to choose!
Original post by jazdesignsstuff
should i choose illustration or graphic design? i’ve got an unconditional offer for graphic design. i love them both and i know they both integrate so im not sure what to choose!

Good Morning @jazdesignsstuff ,

Congratulations on your unconditional offers! It sounds like you have a tough decision to make.

When deciding what course to do, I highly recommend reading through all of the modules that the universities offer because this way, you will be able to establish the core differences between the two courses. This will help you understand how and what you will be learning.

Similarly, do you have a preference for learning styles? If you can establish your favourite way to learn, you can ensure you choose a course which will be most enjoyable and easy for you to learn from. Another important factor is the facilities each course has access to, as this will determine what experiences you gain, e.g. access to Adobe Photo Editor, different drawing software, and 3D printing facilities.

Additionally, if you know what career options are available upon completing each course, you will have access to your options after graduating. This link will show you your illustration career options, and this link will show the graphic design career options on the `Prospect` website.

I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours. If you have any questions, please get in touch.

from Ella
1st year Ecology and Wildlife conservation.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by jazdesignsstuff

Hi there @jazdesignsstuff , I highly recommend going for an open day to speak to current students and tutors to get a feel for each respective course as this differs from uni to uni. Although both are mostly 2D, I would say that graphic design is much more translatable and opens up different job opportunities compared to illustration. Anyways, it all boils down to what you are most passionate about and what you want to pursue as a career. If you are unable to attend an open day, I suggest seeking out current students on the course through social media or anyone you might know to understand why they chose that specific course to better understand the difference and what you are actually signing up for. I hope this helps.

Zhi En
(Kingston Student Rep.)

Quick Reply

Latest