The Student Room Group

School Play

I have always wanted to do a school play (as chorus/a dancer) but I am worried that I won't be able to revise properly. I am going into year 11 and the play would be in December but it would mean I would miss lessons and revision sessions afterschool whilst also being exhausted. However, I am already achieving all As for my GCSEs (so hopefully it won't impact them but I do want to go to a top uni) and this might be my last chance to do something like this. Should I do it?
Original post by BaconBacon
I have always wanted to do a school play (as chorus/a dancer) but I am worried that I won't be able to revise properly. I am going into year 11 and the play would be in December but it would mean I would miss lessons and revision sessions afterschool whilst also being exhausted. However, I am already achieving all As for my GCSEs (so hopefully it won't impact them but I do want to go to a top uni) and this might be my last chance to do something like this. Should I do it?

Good morning @BaconBacon ,

Congratulations on achieving all A's. It sounds like you are doing great!

It sounds like you have weighed up all of your options and are prepared to put your GCSEs first; however, having these extracurricular activities is good for your mental health and will allow you to break from all the hard work you have put into your academic studies.

At the University of Reading, it is highly encouraged to do what you love alongside your studies to ensure every student can access something other than their course. Similarly, when you are applying for sixth forms or colleges, these extra activities will be a great way to show your commitment and that you can manage your time well. These are things that universities and sixth forms look at when considering applications.

One tip I have/ suggestion is to speak to the director of the play and ask about the timings of rehearsals and how other students in the past have managed to fit the rehearsals around revision, as I'm sure many students have had the same worries in the past.

I hope this helps, and I'm sure you will make the right decision that puts yourself first.

If you have any questions, please get in touch.

Many thanks
Ella😀

1st year Ecology and wildlife conservation.

Quick Reply