The Student Room Group

Geography Questions

Hello all,

The Oxford Geography Society have set up a StudentRoom account to answer any questions you may have about Geography.

Literally any question you have - whether it be about Geography at University, Geography at Oxford or life at Oxford in general, we'll be happy to answer them. We're not affiliated with the Oxford Geography Department, so all advice is independent and genuine. Sadly we can't put in a good word for you for Admissions, but we can provide advice, support and reassurance if needed.

So, ask away! If you see a post sharing your concern, tag us with @OxGeogSoc so that we can see and answer.

- the Oxford Geography Society Team
Original post by OxGeogSoc
Hello all,
The Oxford Geography Society have set up a StudentRoom account to answer any questions you may have about Geography.
Literally any question you have - whether it be about Geography at University, Geography at Oxford or life at Oxford in general, we'll be happy to answer them. We're not affiliated with the Oxford Geography Department, so all advice is independent and genuine. Sadly we can't put in a good word for you for Admissions, but we can provide advice, support and reassurance if needed.
So, ask away! If you see a post sharing your concern, tag us with @OxGeogSoc so that we can see and answer.
Currently have an offer for Geography however am a bit worried about the stats / mathsy aspect of the course as I haven't done much maths since GCSE and only do essay subjects at A-level🙁
Original post by OxGeogSoc
Hello all,

Hey there! Thank you for setting this up, I am currently in Year 12 and am wondering what kind of thing admissions are looking for in personal statements for geography? Are there any things you would recommend for me to do? One last thing, I was wondering about the Physical/ Human Geography balance and how much of each I should include in my personal statement? I am applying to BA Geography courses for my other choices and my interests primarily reside in human Geography. Thank you!! :smile:))
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Currently have an offer for Geography however am a bit worried about the stats / mathsy aspect of the course as I haven't done much maths since GCSE and only do essay subjects at A-level🙁

Hello!!
Do not worry at all about the maths aspect of the course. Many people who study the course now also came from a purely essay subject background and have managed the statistics course very well! The statistics component of the course is taught from a very basic level and then advances as the course progresses. The lecturers and your tutors also understand that not everyone comes from a maths background. Within college you will have statistics classes to go over lecture content - this allows you to ask any questions/ go over confusing material in a more comfortable environment. Also it is important to note that the statistics content is not extremely advanced (it does not really go beyond A-level maths).
Reply 4
Original post by ThivyanPsk
Hey there! Thank you for setting this up, I am currently in Year 12 and am wondering what kind of thing admissions are looking for in personal statements for geography? Are there any things you would recommend for me to do? One last thing, I was wondering about the Physical/ Human Geography balance and how much of each I should include in my personal statement? I am applying to BA Geography courses for my other choices and my interests primarily reside in human Geography. Thank you!! :smile:))

One thing admission officers are looking for is critical thinking within personal statements - it should be clear that you have explored a topic in depth and used the various materials to come to your own conclusion, don't be afraid to challenge any information you come across! I would recommend you find a theme/topic that you are passionate about and use it structure/frame your personal statement. This is not to say you should restrict the type of content you cover but it is a very useful way of conveying your passion and interest; it also reduces the likelihood of you covering multiple different topics with shallow analysis/investigation (Geography is such a multi-disciplinary subject so I understand it can feel overwhelming when choosing what areas to explore). If you are primarily interested in Human Geography I would suggest keeping that as the main focus of your personal statement however the Oxford Course requires you to have an interest/understanding of both human and physical geography therefore I would highly recommend including any physical geography aspects. It does not have to be purely physical for example you could talk about human-induced climate change, conservation methods or the Anthropocene.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask away!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending