The Student Room Group

Psychology- the worst A level ever

A BORING, REPETITVE, MEMORISATION TASK

Year 11s who are picking their a levels should be more aware about subjects and what they are in for, this is something I wish I had done more research on as a year 11.

I knew as a year 11 that people said psychology was a lot of memorisation, and i thought oh well that'll be fine because surely all a levels will require a lot. I am now a year 13 and I want to warn you, it is not what you think it is. It isnt fun, the content is mostly boring an essays are repetitive. You do not get to think in essays or put in your points of view, you just need to copy and paste tedious amounts of content. It is fully memorisation, and doesnt actually stimulate your mind in any way.

There is way too much content and way too many ways the exam boards mess with papers every year. The exam papers arent consistent, even teachers are sometimes unsure about the weight of A03/A01 needed in answers.

The 6th form experience of this subject is so boring too, lessons every day are the exact same structure and it is the only subject I have in which I believe I'd swap anything with.

If you have a bad memory, dont do it. simple as that, it is EXTREMELY difficult especially whilst doing 2 other subjects. It is not an easy subject at (as many people see it), and I find it harder than chemistry and maths (I am an A* student). take it from me, unless u have an amazing memory or a genuine interest in psychology DO NOT pick this as ur extra a level if u have a choice remaining.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
also- this post is not meant to put anyone off from choosing this (even though I hope it does)
if u are interested in it, go for it
if you arent or are even a tad unsure about it..please save urself
felt lol, exact same experience, taking it was a mistake
this is so real psychology was the worst decision ever made
I've heard this is a common thing to do but I just kinda picked psychology bc there wasn't anything else. I also will take history and English lit alongside, and I think psych matches. But thing is I do find it interesting and all but honestly not enough to take it on as you described. Do you think it'll be a good idea to switch when I go into year 12? thanks (:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I've heard this is a common thing to do but I just kinda picked psychology bc there wasn't anything else. I also will take history and English lit alongside, and I think psych matches. But thing is I do find it interesting and all but honestly not enough to take it on as you described. Do you think it'll be a good idea to switch when I go into year 12? thanks (:

this is the reason i picked it too, bc there was nothing else

if ur looking for an extra subject do sociology its much easier or do something like economics which is hard but wont feel as tedious and draining

ur choices of history and english lit are already very essay intensive and content heavy (history especially), doing both history and psych at the same time is a very bad idea

all the people ik who took that combination swapped one for something else, hope this helps

unpopular opinion here but i absolutely love psychology! i’m doing lit as well and can’t WAIT for it to be over after exams tho lol. it is quite a lot to remember, but if you make summary sheets/ flash cards etc as you go and don’t cram you should be ok :smile: it’s really interesting, there’s just loads to remember
Year 11s who are picking their a levels should be more aware about subjects and what they are in for, this is something I wish I had done more research on as a year 11.
I knew as a year 11 that people said psychology was a lot of memorisation, and i thought oh well that'll be fine because surely all a levels will require a lot. I am now a year 13 and I want to warn you, it is not what you think it is. It isnt fun, the content is mostly boring an essays are repetitive. You do not get to think in essays or put in your points of view, you just need to copy and paste tedious amounts of content. It is fully memorisation, and doesnt actually stimulate your mind in any way.
There is way too much content and way too many ways the exam boards mess with papers every year. The exam papers arent consistent, even teachers are sometimes unsure about the weight of A03/A01 needed in answers.
The 6th form experience of this subject is so boring too, lessons every day are the exact same structure and it is the only subject I have in which I believe I'd swap anything with.
If you have a bad memory, dont do it. simple as that, it is EXTREMELY difficult especially whilst doing 2 other subjects. It is not an easy subject at (as many people see it), and I find it harder than chemistry and maths (I am an A* student). take it from me, unless u have an amazing memory or a genuine interest in psychology DO NOT pick this as ur extra a level if u have a choice remaining.

This is so true. I’m in my last year of college and the regrets of picking psychology is real 😭
This is very interesting to me. I never took A level psychology at sixth form but currently studying at university and sometimes I feel like I missed out, all my classmates speak highly of the A level. But then, you probably don't get the most balanced of answers of how good was A level psychology in those that went on to study it at university :tongue:
Original post by caitlinmm
unpopular opinion here but i absolutely love psychology! i’m doing lit as well and can’t WAIT for it to be over after exams tho lol. it is quite a lot to remember, but if you make summary sheets/ flash cards etc as you go and don’t cram you should be ok :smile: it’s really interesting, there’s just loads to remember

I totally agree with this. While there is a lot of memorisation and content to learn, it doesn't seem like anymore than my other two subjects.
The content is really interesting and if you have an interest in psychology I think you should definitely go for it!

same. i felt like i just wasted time when i could have been doing another a-level
Original post by Simran81869
I totally agree with this. While there is a lot of memorisation and content to learn, it doesn't seem like anymore than my other two subjects.
The content is really interesting and if you have an interest in psychology I think you should definitely go for it!

yeah would defo recommend year 11s check the specification and topics before they defo choose it eg looking on aqa if they definitely know they’re doing that exam board to check what they’ll be learning and weigh up if they’ll enjoy it!
u will not enjoy it if you have not got an above decent memory
to clarify again, if u have a genuine interest in it theres no reason u shouldnt do it
but even a bit of doubt in ur head about it means u should steer clear of it
Original post by Scotland Yard
This is very interesting to me. I never took A level psychology at sixth form but currently studying at university and sometimes I feel like I missed out, all my classmates speak highly of the A level. But then, you probably don't get the most balanced of answers of how good was A level psychology in those that went on to study it at university :tongue:

I think it has so much potential to be a good a level, but the specifications just been made really badly. If I was to learn/research psychology in my own time I think I'd like it too (which is why I picked it ig). The a level is quite off putting and boring unfortunately.

If you want to put in your own opinions in a psychological manner - choose philosophy. It leans more towards that, and although essay based is much more open. It's exactly what I wish I had done instead of psychology at A level.
Original post by lilac.kem23
If you want to put in your own opinions in a psychological manner - choose philosophy. It leans more towards that, and although essay based is much more open. It's exactly what I wish I had done instead of psychology at A level.

I would but my school doesn't do any interesting subjects that I would've chosen instead like classics or philosophy, so I am kinda stuck with psychology. Thanks though

yep its the worst a level ever, i finished it now and cos its so horribly boring its hard to remember, biology is known to be harder but i found psych way harder than bio cos psych is just 100% memory 0% skill, and the mark schemes are so subjective
am i the only one who liked it? i think its because of my teacher but personally i didnt find psychology bad and it was a break from other subjects, my friends who do MDV also found it less work than their stem subjects.
i think your teachers and lessons are a big factor into whether you will enjoy it and my teachers made lessons interesting. if any yr 11s are considering it, i think the best advice is to stay on top of content so you are not memorising chunks at a time and cramming
Reply 18
Welp now I’m kind of scared. Is this AQA?

THIS IS COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE everyone loves it at my school, I find it really interesting, and yes, while it is very content heavy, this applies to ALL A LEVELS, you cannot escape a lot of information - don't listen to this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending