The Student Room Group

Do gcses matter for Cambridge

Im currently in year 11 and lets say i get a 4 in maths but a 9 in English and some other 9s and I hopefully get 3 A*s am i still eligible to go into Cambridge
Reply 1
Original post by anonymousakhi
Im currently in year 11 and lets say i get a 4 in maths but a 9 in English and some other 9s and I hopefully get 3 A*s am i still eligible to go into Cambridge

check specific requirements for your course on the cambridge website
usually i'd say a four is fine
but because it's maths i'm doubtful. for stem a four probably isn't ok but you might get away with it for humanities. but still, check specific course requirements
try your best to do a lot of practice questions in the run up to the exam and get it to a 6 minimum to be safe

Whilst the website might say a 4 is acceptable, you have to remember that you are competing against people who will have 9’s across the board, including maths. However, this won’t prevent you being picked if you have a really impressive interview and do loads of super curricular studies. I would recommend just burning through all the past papers for gcse maths to try and up your grade a little, but remember to stay calm and relaxed. Maths isn’t the end of the world!
Hello! I got a 5 in Physics at GCSE and I was convinced Cambridge would never take me. I applied for English when I was in Sixth Form, two years later, and I got a place! I’m currently in my second year studying. I got A*A*A at A-Level, but my Cambridge offer was A*AA.

GCSEs are not the end of the world! Oxbridge in particular care more about your passion for your subject, and that is supposed to come across in interviews, not exams. Best of luck with your GCSEs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending