The Student Room Group

foundation year or gap year to take A levels

Im currently a first year studying environmental science and am not enjoying it. I realise now that I want to study engineering but at A levels I didnt do maths. Should I do a foundation year or take a gap year? I'm worried that unis wont accept me if I take A levels two years apart (I want to apply to top unis). previous A levels and grades = Biology, A*, Chemistry, A, Geography, A, Physics, B. Also if I were to study two A levels should i take further maths and maths or retake physics and maths?

thank you
Original post by helpm
Im currently a first year studying environmental science and am not enjoying it. I realise now that I want to study engineering but at A levels I didnt do maths. Should I do a foundation year or take a gap year? I'm worried that unis wont accept me if I take A levels two years apart (I want to apply to top unis). previous A levels and grades = Biology, A*, Chemistry, A, Geography, A, Physics, B. Also if I were to study two A levels should i take further maths and maths or retake physics and maths?
thank you

hey, personally foundation year. taking the alevel is great but its gonna take up so much time. i did do maths alevel and its not easy bc its not just one type of maths theres a lot of application maths too and its difficult especially if ur self studying. youve got good alevels and if u did the foundation year ud alr be accepted onto the actual course. there would be less stress for u and especially with the lack of a deadline to learn all of alevel maths in a year. if you wanted to work during your gap year i rlly think u would struggle to balance that and an alevel. the foundation year would give u all the knowledge u require for the degree and youd gain a good understanding of the course and who is teaching it. it would be a good idea to contact universities and see what they say as well because they might have different opinions on whether you could get in with your alevels or not without taking maths as well, you're clearly very capable and they might also see that. hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending