need help with a couple of gentics monohybrid questions Watch

This discussion is closed.
hotboi01
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
1) the coat colour of shorthorn cattle is controlled by a gene with two alleles. Cattle which are homozygous for the red-coat allele have red coats; those homozygous for the white coat allele have white coats. Heterozygotes have a coat in which half the hairs are red and half are white. The resulting colour is raon.

a) Devise suitable symbols for the red coat and white coat alleles.
b) draw a fully labeled geneics diagram to show the expected ratio of coat-colour phenotypes in the calves produced by mating a number of roan cows with i) a raon bull ii) a white bull

Codominance (don't understand what this means) question :
2) Draw genetics diagrams to show the ratio of phenotypes among the offspring of a pink-flowered snapdragon crossed with
a)a white-flowered snapdragon
b)a red flowered snapdragon
fairieboi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hotboi01)
1) the coat colour of shorthorn cattle is controlled by a gene with two alleles. Cattle which are homozygous for the red-coat allele have red coats; those homozygous for the white coat allele have white coats. Heterozygotes have a coat in which half the hairs are red and half are white. The resulting colour is raon.

a) Devise suitable symbols for the red coat and white coat alleles.
b) draw a fully labeled geneics diagram to show the expected ratio of coat-colour phenotypes in the calves produced by mating a number of roan cows with i) a raon bull ii) a white bull

Codominance (don't understand what this means) question :
2) Draw genetics diagrams to show the ratio of phenotypes among the offspring of a pink-flowered snapdragon crossed with
a)a white-flowered snapdragon
b)a red flowered snapdragon
Codominance is when neither is recessive, and so they are both shown in the phenotype. A common example of this is ABO blood grouping, in which A and B are dominant to O, but A and B are codominant (hence the AB blood group comes about).

1a) R and W?
b) a normal punit square for i) RW x RW and ii) RW x WW (assuming you understand those already)

2)a) normal punit for RW (red and white = pink) x WW
b) same but for RW and RR

hope that helps
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.85%
They might tell the bully (5)
9.62%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
17.31%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
36.54%
There's nothing they could do (17)
32.69%

Watched Threads