The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Uni

Hi,
I really hope someone can help :frown:
I’m in my second year of Oxford Brookes. I stayed at home and commuted to uni. My academic learning finished on the 3rd May. I want to drop out to do Open University for a few reasons. Family life, not enjoying uni life and also the course was poorly taught in my opinion.

However, I’m unsure if when it is I can withdraw from university without having the financial implications of having to pay back maintenance loan. That’s my big question, when do I leave it till to withdraw without having these implications?

Because I want to study with OU in October I have to do my student finance soonish to have it ready to start my course with them then. Will how late I have to leave withdrawing from Brookes interfere with my student loan for OU? Basically any advice anyone has is greatly appreciated. SFE told me to basically wait until I’ve finished this year and I won’t have any implications but unsure of when that exact date is.
I’d do it after your exams every thing is done then and you’ll get credit for your final OU year which always helps.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I’d do it after your exams every thing is done then and you’ll get credit for your final OU year which always helps.

I don’t have any exams they are just assignments.But I’m worried about having to pay back maintenance loan if I withdraw now as I’ve seen people say wait till August. Do you know if this is true?
Original post by ellabettles
I don’t have any exams they are just assignments.But I’m worried about having to pay back maintenance loan if I withdraw now as I’ve seen people say wait till August. Do you know if this is true?

I'm not sure when i dropped out of my first year (I went somewhere new later on) it was a January I just had to let student finance know and that was that.
Better to talk to someone in uni and ask for help here. Make sure that you are not going to regret about this decision in the future. I had a strong breakdown when i had to write my coursework and was thinking to quit as well. Finally found these guys https://stateofwriting.com/uk/do-my-coursework and they helped me to solve it. Few weeks later i was happy again and couldn't believe that i had those thoughts even.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply