The Student Room Group

Can I take a university degree in social research?

I've been researching but I've been getting a lot of mixed answers and can't seem to find anywhere that offers an actual degree in social research for straight after sixth form, only sociology. Is it possible to maybe study a specific area on sociology then?
Original post by cheesybugger76
I've been researching but I've been getting a lot of mixed answers and can't seem to find anywhere that offers an actual degree in social research for straight after sixth form, only sociology. Is it possible to maybe study a specific area on sociology then?

Social research is what social scientists do. So, you need to study one of the social sciences first - the most notable of which is sociology. It's very likely you'll find you have a module relating to social research at university, and you may also be able to pick and choose your own modules, depending on where you'll go.
Look at degrees in Sociology or Social Policy. As above, this is where you start.

As part of that degree you will have research training and complete research elements such as extended essays and dissertations to solidify those skills. Some degrees will include 'data methods' or 'quantitative methods' etc and this is a skill set that many employers value. Others will have a work placement as part of the degree - and you could make that relevant to research skills etc.

Examples
Sociology BSc (Hons) with professional placement (bath.ac.uk)
Sociology | Aston University
BSc (Hons) Sociology with Quantitative Methods · Manchester Metropolitan University (mmu.ac.uk)
BSc Social Policy with Quantitative Research Methods | Study at Bristol | University of Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending